The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

How often to dust? HowTo keep feather dusters from being moth eaten? Help! I can't keep up!

asked by @shunafish 9 months ago
94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Moths! Oh NOSES! Not MOTHS!

One trick is to stick the duster in the freezer between dusting. That will kill off any baby or adult moths that get in your duster (but not the eggs). If they are eating your duster, you might have a larger problem. Best to check your sweaters and grain stores (including things made from grains like pasta). Different kinds of moths eat different things.

How often to dust? I'm not sure this is the answer. If you have moths in your duster, then they might spread, so maybe the better solution to more frequent dusting would be the freezer technique.

Historically, dusting once or twice a week is most common.

283aaeb7 c91c 4441 9375 ea3c70af8566  125tomato14

We switched to a Swiffer duster. The dusters come off so you can change them often and toss the used one. Had to buy Moth houses at the hardware store. This is the time of year that the hatch. They work great. No chemical smell they have a sticky substance that attracts the moths.

3a39d565 f2ac 4e29 93fa 39d3fe96e06c  ratatouille concept art 01

To be a completely unhelpful troll, I recommend adopting some really mellow cats! Mine will often flop down on cool, smooth surfaces and I scoot them around to get a little dusting in. Bonus: They might eat the moths too. ;P