🔕 🔔

Have you ever made pasta by hand? What are your favorite fresh, regional pastas? And what do you serve them with?

Emiko recently wrote an article entitled In Italy, "Pasta" Can Mean Hundreds of Different Things, where she asked these questions. cv , myself and others answered so I thought I would pose the question to the hotline to see some other opinions and favorites. I'm sure there are as many favorites as there are pasta shapes.

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

asked over 1 year ago

Italy has more pasta shapes than France has cheeses. They all have a specific purpose depending on the commune, although there are many common themes. These easiest to make are sheets for lasagna. Once you've mastered that you can move on to cut noodles such as pappardelle and tagliatelle. In a city hall in Bologna there is a plaque illustrating the correct dimensions for tagiatelle. This region is also known for one of my favorites, strozzapreti or "priest choker's. Clerics have a reputation for being gluttons.
There are various twist shapes such as the trofie of Genoa. The correct accompaniment would be pesto.
Than you can move on to the ravioli and tortellini etc. These range from easy to very difficult. A chef from Sardinia tried to teach me to make cuglione, which is like a half moon ravioli but with a very delicate closer that resembles a braid. He told me mine were "troppo cinese."
The best book on the subject apart from the ones dedicated to specific regions is Oretta Zanini de Vita; PASTA THE ITALIAN WAY, SAUCES AND SHAPES. The translator Maureen Fant is an acquaintance of mine who has helped me out on a couple of occasions.

Beware the dreaded spellchecker which fixes words that don't need it.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

What did I spell wrong??

Not you Phil. It was myself : raviolo and closure are what I intended.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

One thing I didn't mention in that other discussion was some of the interesting variants of homemade pasta, like changing flours, amount of whole eggs, adding additional yolks, etc.

One of my more interesting experiments involved adding some spelt flour to regular all-purpose (I ran short of AP that day and didn't want to run to the store). The subsequent dough came out well enough that I will definitely make it occasionally.

I gave up making raviolis as I was spending too much time/effort in the whole process. The pasta dough itself is pretty simple, but I was making crazy fillings and finishing making raviolis at 1am on a weekday. Maybe when I retire I will go back to those crazy projects. Man, some of those were good though, but right now I value my time and sleep more.

Good eggs make a big difference. I used to get really awesome eggs from a colleague who raised chickens, but alas, that source is gone and the three egg stands at my farmers market have been inconsistent over the years, so I have resigned to buying grocery store eggs. (sigh)

For sure, today none of my pasta dishes resemble the standard Italian-American classics apart from the pasta with a tomato-based bolognese-style sauce.

I know, Phil, you asked about regional (Italian?) pasta dishes.
And if I were travelling in Italy, I would use that as a criterion, to get interesting or best local variations.
But when not in Italy, I think by shape, and what I have around to make with the pasta.
So:
flat by rolling pin or extruder: maltagliati (for minestrone), fettucine (many sauces), lasagna (ditto), kreplach (triangular pasta filled with meat or cheese, served in soup or fried as appetizer. BTW, I noticed once, when making these, that my mother's recipe for the dough & Marcella Hazan's for ravioli matched. Cousins under the skin?)
shaped: cavatelli (ricotta), orecchiette (rapini or broccoli)

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I copied the questions from Emiko's article , like yo hear what people are eating. Thanks

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

Just landed in Catania, the only pasta I dream about today is Pasta alla Norma. Yes, it is a sunny day !

1481b1c2 760e 4f43 96f0 debacc1fd2d0  pasta with aubergine tomato sauce 2

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Nice! I forgot pasta alla Norma. My ancestors are from there. Enjoy your trip. Taormina is one of my favorite places

Then food is in your gene, we might be related ! My grandma used to shape fresh pasta with a knitting needle.

817a2e06 428e 44b9 bd8f 2e068393bb4e  stringio

I love orcchiettes. Don't ask me why but I like the shape...it's tongue thing but I won't go further than that...
I usually like pasta the simply way,
- Warm: a splash of olive oil, a bit of garlic, parsley and slices of fresh parmesan - Cold fresh baby tomatoes, tomato sauce mixed with yoghurt
- Warm or cold: Pesto with yogurt/light cream

22fd5949 f671 4eca 9819 de5858b39390  img 7382

No, I have never made fresh pasta, but do buy Bertolli fresh pasta (linguine). It's so quick and easy to prepare and with melted butter, fresh lemon juice and capers, that's it. A little side salad and I'm happy!

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

Yes, it's fun! The simplest, and to my mind, best is lasagne with homemade pasta sheets--the texture is so much lighter and more delicate than the dried sheets.
My daughter (with 'help' from a 10-year old cousin) recently made capeletti filled with puréed peas and ricotta, or sautéed mushrooms. Weren't pretty but tasted divine.
A fun book is 'The Geometry of Pasta' by Caz Hildebrandt and Jacob Kenedy...I probably love it most for the illustrations, but the simple pasta dough recipe works well.

I've only made long pasta by hand (it's the easiest to do) and it's like a whole other species, in a good way. Usually I don't muck around with heavy sauces. So the sauces are quite simple like butter and a little grated parm reg, or some creme fraiche and herbs. The flavor is texture of fresh handmade pasta is so darn good. I don't see the need to mask it.

Sometimes I forget I own this stuff. But here are some artisanal pasta tools I picked up along the way. The box shaped thing is called a chitarra which means "guitar". You lay flat sheets over the fine strings to produce the "square" shaped spaghetti known as pasta alla chitarra. The rolling pin is for marking ravioli. You still need a cutter to separate the filled ravioi. This just makes the boundries for you. God knows where I found this stuff, but it's like when you see it buy it because you may never have another chance. And the chitarra is very practical.

0bbaf2a0 93a9 4426 911f 26a747e6f510  p8070209

38d74236 bb50 4fe8 90bd 438575cec343  vermont creamery pic

Yes! Chitarra! I was just traveling in Abruzzo and got to make traditional chitarra. We ate it with a lamb ragu sauce studded with meatballs the size of peas. Domenica Marchetti has a great recipe for "Maccheroni alla Chitarra with Ragù Abruzzese and Palottine" in her book The Glorious Pasta of Italy.

Spaghetti alla chitarra !

9d784518 ca62 4f01 8096 f2a2ca62b38d  p1060661

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

One of my all time faves are chestnut fettuccine (sub half of the flour with chestnut flour). I serve them with robiola, brown butter and crispy sage.