Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

tabouli salad

Health food store in Hakensack NJ in the 90's made this VERY thick, tomato rich, tart, tabouli salad, I have never seen anything close to it ever since,does any one have a recipe for that?

asked by Michael bennett 4 months ago
48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

You can play with the ratios of the following ingredients: bulghur wheat (soaked), parsley, tomatoes, minced onions (or scallions), cucumbers, salt and pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, optional allspice and cayenne, (the latter two used more as a subtle flavor boost to enhance the tartness and salt). The one I liked from a local NY restaurant had loads of parsley and minimal grain (actually they used fine couscous).

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Yes, a true tabbouleh is really a parsley salad. Don't forget that part. I don't have a specific recipe in mind, I just improvise as I go, using essentially the same add ins as Lisanne describes. And yes I've used fine couscous as well. Just follow these principles until you find a combination that works for you. Be sure to use the best olive oil you can as that makes a big difference. You will find that the better California olive oils are at least as good as the imported ones. Personally though I would substitute Spanish pimenton for cayenne.

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

Same here. Plenty of parsley and couscous instead of bulghur wheat. Also, I prefer to use red onions are they are sweeter (Tropea onion to be exact) and beside parsley, I also mix some mint.

Tabouli varies from cook to cook as well as from region to region. The Turkish version is different from the more popular Lebanese recipe. My Turkish neighbor makes tabouli frequently and uses a very fine bulghur, which she softens a bit. It should not soak too long because it will continue to absorb moisture once it is added to the salad mixture. She also uses a prepared tomato paste of some sort--I can't think of the name at the moment, but it may be the Turkish version of ajvar. She also adds a few spices, but not so much that they become the predominant flavor. If you google 'Turkish Tabouli" you will find some recipes that may help.

Here's a recipe that sounds very similar to the tabouli my neighbor makes--http://www.deliciousistanbul...

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Hi Michael, Are you still living in the area? Kings supermarket makes a fresh one that is very good. They have it in there Mezze counter. Also Jerry's gourmet and Bennie's both in Englewood have fresh tabbouleh. Like salsa no two taste the same, each place has a different twist. If you want more tomatoes you can always chop up a few and fold them in.

Thank you everyone, I love this website and I appreciate everyone taking the time to write your answers. You gave me great info. Thanks!