Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Freezer Jam a Year Old is it good?

Found a jar of Strawberry Freezer Jam tucked way in the back of the freezer from over a year ago. Is it still good or should I toss it? BB

asked 4 months ago
2c1f067e 402c 46d1 87aa dbbfaefb29d6  stringio

I just googled freezer jam as I had never heard of it - and in this article here it says it can stay in the freezer for about a year: http://www.seriouseats...

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Likely the only bad thing that could happen to it is freezer burn. You'll have to taste it to find out.

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

There is nothing in freezer jam that would make you I'll. The fresh flavor will have diminished, the color will have faded, it may have taken on other freezer flavrs, or it could be freezer burned.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

So much depends on the kind of freezer you're talking about. A product well sealed in a a chest -type freezer that's kept very cold will keep much longer than the " recommended" times. Things stored in a small freezer atop or alongside a refrigerator keep less well, in my experience, perhaps because of the more frequent opening and closing that takes place.

50e6ebd3 b4c9 4d51 bd5e 1163afa4ba06  2013wreath

I'll give it a try. No freezer burn, it is in a small jar in the refrigerator freezer, which is amazingly cold, like a blast freezer! I'm not kidding this thing freezes everything in a matter of minutes.