Tea Kettle that is a piece of art?

I'm really into owning a very small number of things, but each piece that I carefully select to carry with me though my life, I want to be special. That could mean vintage or newly designed. Something that looks exquisite in my home and functions smoothly. I'm a designer myself, so nuances of user experience are important as the aesthetic.

The staub pot is too heavy and chunky. I like it but it's not "the one". The barista is not my style. I prefer stove top. Wondering if anyone has had this epic issue too? LOL

asked by Sarah Finucane about 2 years ago

sydney

Ouch! Your question just touched a nerve. I had a gorgeous Bodum kettle I LOVED for several years, and it just broke and I can't afford to replace it. Bodum used to make this fabulous stove-top glass kettle (I have a gas stove) at a totally affordable price (I think I paid $30) and then they stopped production. It was glass, after all, and I'll bet people were breaking them and complaining. You can find a knock-off type online, but I'm not sure if I trust it if it's not made by a really reputable glassmaking company. But glass kettles are fabulous and beautiful. I miss my kettle!! Good luck on your search.

Sarah Finucane

I'm so sorry for your loss!

It sounds lovely. I found a few that are interesting on a recent google search, check them out

I was thinking glass, Food 52 had one on their shop last year. The maker.... Something with an "M" I think, it has totally slipped my mind.

Wildly indulgent, true art.
If you like this sort of thing
two tone (brushed aluminum and blue thermo plastic handle), hot bertaa hob top kettle, 1990 by Phillipe Stark for Alessi
triangular shape stainless steel one with bird on the whistle spout by Michael Graves, also for Alessi

I bought a Hario coffee pot--I make filtered coffee. I love its looks and it is very easy to care for. It has a thin, long, curved spout that makes it easy to target coffee in a filter. I also like to use it for watering plants--it has cut down on spills considerably.

An overlooked source for this type of utilitarian object are, believe it or not, museum shops. If you happen to be in New York, or Los Angeles, or San Francisco then drop into the Museum of Modern Art or Contemporary Art. Otherwise visit their shops on line. I've found wonderful kitchen related objects in these places.

Sarah Finucane

Great suggestion! I hope Sydney catches this suggestion!

Amanda Sims
Amanda Sims

Amanda is the Design & Home Editor at Food52

I agree with so many suggestions here! A cheeky Michael Graves for Alessi or a glass piece from the MoMA design shop (like this cutey: https://store.moma.org...) would both be keepsake-worthy. I'd also add in a vintage enamelware kettle, if you're looking for something less clunky.

Sarah Finucane

I have been looking at vintage enamel cause I love the pop of color in the kitchen. But I also very much love the simplicity of the moma glass kettle. a beauty!

I have the same issue. Particular about looks and especially the shape of the spout--the right spout makes for a good pour. Haven't found "the one." So I keep my old rickety one, which has a spout with a slight point.