🔕 🔔

is there any pitcher you can pour boiling water in for making iced tea?

It would be nice to find a good, sturdy, large (2 - 3 liter) pitcher that can be used to make iced tea. Any ideas?

asked by Lori of Westchester over 1 year ago

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Lori - I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I use my large glass pyrex measuring cups to make tea. After it cools I put in a decorative pitcher or store it in the refrigerator in a large canning jar.

Similar to Trena suggestion...I would use a mammoth mason jar (which can take the heat). Then maybe decant to a server.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

When I make iced tea I seep five tea bags in one cup of hot water. Let it sit until room temperature, then add it to a pitcher and fill it with cold water, stir, refrigerate. Perfect every time.

Oops...steep! Fingers aren't awake yet!

Oops...steep! Fingers aren't awake yet!

492f4071 0534 45eb 960b ec37cfe88cab  222342 546547697817 3203491 n
Rebecca Salisbury

Rebecca is Food52's Director of Customer Care

Hi there Lori! Great question, and to be quite honest with you I'm on the ever long search for the perfect pitcher (weird, I know). I have my eyes set on the Farmhouse Pottery Barrel Jug (https://food52.com/shop...). It's my dream pitcher. I'm certain with its oven, dishwasher and microwave safe qualities it could withstand the heat of boiling water for making Iced Tea and would look beautiful in the process. Similarly, you *could* use our Chemex pour over (if you wanted to brew loose leaf) Iced Tea. That's a nice alt. option. We used to sell a pitcher made by one of my favorite companies Borosil who makes these charming glasses (https://food52.com/shop...). They're made from the same material used to make test tubes and can withstand pretty much a n y t h i n g! Seriously. I have them in my home and know you can pour boiling water directly into them, too--even given their extreme delicate nature and sleek design. Hope that helps your decision :)