How long does homemade iced tea last in the fridge?

This would include iced tea made with boiling water fallowed by steeping and iced cold water. And iced tea made strictly from iced water alone.

asked by mvangraaf about 6 years ago

About a day for us.
It's pretty sturdy in the fridge.
A touch of baking soda in tea rounds out the tannins in iced tea. Just a pinch. Will soften it--especially if you have hard lime water in your area.

mvangraaf

Thanks. Was hoping for longer, though!

Elaine Ruth

I make and consume iced tea all summer long and try to make the amount we will consume in about 3 or 4 days. Beyond that time it starts to taste "stale".

If you keep the tea refrigerated the 3 - 4 days sounds right. I have had iced tea served to me in restaurants that has the off taste of mold. I assume that means it's not kept in the fridge and/or kept too long. I prefer making it with boiling water to steep, but you can put water and tea in the fridge for cold brewing -- that may have an edge on keeping time.
This is a cold drink recipe with a tea/syrup base. The syrup will keep a long time (refrigerated). If you want a longer keeping period than you get for standard steeped tea, you could use this as a model for a concentrate, then add as you wish. I've really enjoyed it -- http://www.food52.com/recipes...

chef of the future 2000

3 or 4 days in fridge should be ok

mvangraaf

Thank you everyone for your opinions!

Homemadecornbread

I never leave tea overnight. To me, it loses the snappy astringent-ness and just tastes flat.

Juvia Ramirez

Dose diet tea go bad after a few days in water??