🔕 🔔

How long does homemade iced tea last in the fridge?

This would include iced tea made with boiling water fallowed by steeping and iced cold water. And iced tea made strictly from iced water alone.

asked by mvangraaf over 5 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

About a day for us.
It's pretty sturdy in the fridge.
A touch of baking soda in tea rounds out the tannins in iced tea. Just a pinch. Will soften it--especially if you have hard lime water in your area.

Thanks. Was hoping for longer, though!

I make and consume iced tea all summer long and try to make the amount we will consume in about 3 or 4 days. Beyond that time it starts to taste "stale".

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you keep the tea refrigerated the 3 - 4 days sounds right. I have had iced tea served to me in restaurants that has the off taste of mold. I assume that means it's not kept in the fridge and/or kept too long. I prefer making it with boiling water to steep, but you can put water and tea in the fridge for cold brewing -- that may have an edge on keeping time.
This is a cold drink recipe with a tea/syrup base. The syrup will keep a long time (refrigerated). If you want a longer keeping period than you get for standard steeped tea, you could use this as a model for a concentrate, then add as you wish. I've really enjoyed it -- http://www.food52.com/recipes...

3 or 4 days in fridge should be ok

Thank you everyone for your opinions!

07ee6775 4f67 4ff5 aa78 ae7249feebc7  image003

I never leave tea overnight. To me, it loses the snappy astringent-ness and just tastes flat.