substitute for mozzarella

i am going to make laagna, but there is no mozzarella, so can i substitute it with cheddar cheese and how? Thank you in advance :)

asked by Lim007 over 2 years ago

It would vastly change the character of the dish. You'd be better off with something mild- Fontina would work well, but if you're depending on what's on hand- maybe Swiss or Jack if you have that. I'd probably go to the store- certainly before using Cheddar.

Lim007

that's the problem, the mozzarella cheese was sold out, which is why i am thinking whether or not can i use cheddar , by the way my country doesn't sells those cheese you listed

Well, you can use whatever you want, it's your dinner. But at some point you need to concede that you can't make a dish if you can't get the ingredients. You could make mac and cheese.

Lim007

oops ,just realize a typo, its lasagna

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Do you know what cheeses are available at the grocery? You might try using ricotta.

I've used Provolone and it turns out great.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

if you have no choice a mild cheddar would work, also, as Berry Baby mentioned , provolone. fontina would also work. any mild melty cheese. Yes, it may not be traditional lasagna but I am sure it will still taste good

C Sangueza

What country are you in , and what do you have available? It might be helpful to know what your options are rather than making suggestions that won't work for you.

Sorry, but cheddar has absolutely no place in lasagna. It's bloody sacrilege. Ricotta on the other hand would be entirely acceptable.