🔕 🔔

need grain free substitute for aroowroot flour in this recipe

For the rolls:

2 cups shredded mozzarella (you can substitute with fontina, mild raw cheddar, or Monterey Jack)

1 cup arrowroot flour
1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon grain-free baking powder*

1 large egg

3 tablespoons whole milk

asked by Janet Hollis about 2 years ago

Arrowroot is not a grain.
https://en.m.wikipedia...

09e798d6 31b6 4f74 b2b6 974f7c874342  fb avatar

I have not been able to find arrowroot flour in any of the stores near me. I am very confused by all the info out there about substitutes for arrowroot flour. some say potato flour, others say potato starch, some say potato starch flour. And of course, there are those who say potato starch = potato flour = potato starch flour and those that say the opposite! It is all too confusing to me!

I use coconut flour, tapioca flour and potato starch/flour interchangeably.

Dcaf56be 4ef6 4780 84d1 1e354adf4ff9  stringio

Arrowroot is a thickening agent like cornflour/cornstarch. I would expect potato starch or flour or anyway you want to call it would be a fine substitute.

if the real question is non-availability of arrowroot, you could use (in addition to already mentioned tapioca, potato flour/starch, cornflour/starch & depending on the taste/texture desired):
1) up to 1.5x all purpose flour for the amount of arrowroot specified in recipe.
2) three-quarters volume rice starch for the amount of arrowroot specified
3) half the volume instant mashed potato flakes for the amount of arrowroot specified