🔕 🔔

Neighbor gave me some white kohlrabi from her CSA share. Any ideas?

asked by Eliana60 almost 7 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Is it young? If so I'd shave it (on a mandoline; or with a vegetable peeler in a pinch) and add it to salads.

Bee1ff51 4d58 43c7 9bef a2a8da1d5125  events 0721

kohlrabi 1: shred with carrot, toss with creamy dressing & cumin = kohl slaw
kohlrabi 2: shred or julienne, toss it in a hot wok w/peanut oil, remove to salad bowl and add splash of miso dressing and pickled ginger and handful of cilantro.

Ec89bac4 d90d 46fb a336 04afd14d1e80  img 1958

A week ago I was in the same predicament; I made a light vegetable soup with kohlrabi, young turnips (hakurei), carrots, tomatoes, a good squeeze of lemon and chickpeas for protein.

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

I agree with Amanda, young kohlrabi is great in salads. If it is older, peel the fibrous exterior and treat like radishes or broccoli stems. This recipe from gingerroot sounds like it would be good with the sub http://www.food52.com/recipes... or
This
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi...

367d3166 a466 4b67 a123 677d02f016b1  ls

It's also delicious steamed and served with some miso-butter. Also, kohlrabi goes great with rich beef, like short ribs.