what to do with extra bechamel

I accidentally made extra bechamel while making mac and cheese and it was probably my best ever bechamel. Other than lasagne and more mac and cheese, what should I do with it?

• Posted by: Diana
  • September 13, 2016

702551
702551 September 13, 2016

Well, you can freeze it.

Since you are using it for mac and cheese or something like lasagna, the defrosted stuff recuperates okay, provided you reheat it slowly and give it a whisk.

The defrosted stuff is less stellar as a "pour on" sauce rather than something that is fully incorporated into a dish like mac and cheese, but since the latter is apparently your primary use case, you should feel pretty good about the freezing option.

Good luck.

Nancy September 13, 2016

Two main suggestions
1) it freezes well (do in portions usable for one next meal)
2) since it is one of the mother sauces of French cuisine, use this as an occassion/excuse to make one of its daughter sauces, depending on your tastes - Mornay, Nantua, Mustard, Soubise, Cheddar.
And, oh yes, :)
3) try to figure out what you did this time so you can repeat "your best ever" sauce

Diana
Diana September 13, 2016

I don't know a lot about French cooking, so I should probably explore that. Good idea.

As for No. 3, I really wish I knew. I was making "pantry mac and cheese" because we didn't have much food. And was throwing things together without paying a lot of attention to my proportions. I might have browned the butter more than usual. It'll take some trial and error to figure it out.

Nancy September 14, 2016

Diana - glad these ideas may suggest more ways to use the extra bechamel.
Just to clarify, Cheddar Sauce isn't really a French sauce, but yes one way to use bechamel. And since you basically made it for the mac and cheese, it won't be much new to you.
The others will be different & can be used on various mains (for example, fish) and sides (simply blanched vegetables).
Also, if you thin any of the sauces with broth, milk, cream or tomatoes, it can become a soup.

HalfPint September 13, 2016

You can use it to make moussaka or a cheese soufflé.

HalfPint September 13, 2016

One more thing, crocque madame :)

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 14, 2016

eggs benedict

PHIL
PHIL September 14, 2016

DOn't know how much extra you have but HalfPint's croque madame sounds like an easy (and delicious) way to use it up.

Voted the Best Reply!

aliyaleekong
aliyaleekong September 14, 2016

You could do an easy pot pie with it - throwing in sauteed vegetables and cooked chicken and layering with pastry. OR, add cheese, refrigerate and make croquettes!

keg72
keg72 September 15, 2016

Depending on how much you have, you could use it in a croqueta recipe. For instance, something like this one:

https://food52.com/recipes...

yellowbird
yellowbird September 16, 2016

One of our favorite breakfasts is harboiled eggs chopped up, mixed with bechemel, and spread thickly over toast. It isn't glamorous, but it tastes amazing!