Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

I've just begun cooking with pistachios & tried 2 recipes: a pistachio cookie & a couscous salad featuring pistachios. In both, I couldn't taste the pistachios at all -- their flavor seems easily dominated by other flavors. Is it just me, or have you experienced this too? I love pistachios straight-up (in fact I'm eating a handful of them right now) & am disappointed I can't find a recipe that really showcases their flavor.

asked by Phoenix Helix almost 6 years ago
27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Try lightly toasting them in the oven first, @ 300 degrees for 7-10 mins. It enhances their flavor.

The best dish I've ever had with pistachos is from a restaurant in Kennebunkport, ME called Hurricane Restaurant. It just containes greens, roasted shallots and pistachios

and a dressing that I think has buttermilk and fresh ground pepper. The pistachios are not chopped; they're whole and I think that's one of the keys; they're so mild (but awesome) that you want to keep them whole or chopped very large so that you get a big bite.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

This may be obvious, but I think a really good pistachio ice cream (not the commercial green stuff) is a great vehicle for their flavor - and pure bliss.

I especially love when the ice cream isn't overly sweet and the pistachios are ever so lightly salted - the contrast of that hint of salt and the sweet cream really brings out the pistachio-ness of the pistachio ;-) Be sure to include lots whole pistachios too - if too finely chopped, their delicate flavor can get lost. (Sorry, I don't have an actual recipe to share.)

Definitely toast them before using. I do that with all nuts. It really brings out flavor.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I agree with AmySarah on the ice cream theme, pistachio gelato.

But I too would toast them in a dry skillet and add them to something like red quinoa with some olive oil and citrus zest.

If you don't chop them or don't chop them too finely, you should up the flavor a bit as well. And I also agree with the roasting.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Toasting or roasting your pistachios will bring out the flavor. And check out this site for more recipes - there are 4 award winners and lots of EPs to choose from: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

I did roast the pistachios, so that wasn't the problem & the 2 recipes I tried were from the Food52 EP list & I couldn't taste the pistachios at all. I like the advice about keeping the pistachios whole & will do that from now on. Also, I'll look at recipes carefully & choose one where the other flavors are mild, to really let the pistachios shine. I am intrigued by the idea of pistachio ice cream, but unfortunately have no ice cream maker. Well, there's another item for my wish list! Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful answers.

Anitalectric

Ok. So if you did already roast the pistachios you might have to try some other things. If I was going to pull out all the stops to taste those pistachios, I would:

1. buy them from a reputable supplier where they are sure to be fresh. I have found that Indian and Middle Eastern food shops have the freshest stock. I also have a friend who makes pistachio butter and he gets his from an organic supplier in CA. I will get the info and post it here, but they are the most flavorful, amazing pistachios ever.

2. Keep some of them whole if you want, but also grind some with some of the flour in the recipe (1c:1c).

3. After baking, soak with a nut-infused booze like frangelico or disaronno.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Look at the archive of Melissa Clark's "Cooking with a Good Appetite" columns at the New York Times. She has a fabulous recipe there for granola made with olive oil, pistachios, and apricots. It's also in her new book. This is the most deluxe, delicious granola you will ever encounter, and the flavor of the pistachios is right up front, since they toast along with the other ingredients.

Anitalectric

The website I mentioned below is http://www.ohnuts.com/buy...

More great ideas. Thanks so much!