A question about a recipe: Old-School Swedish Meatballs

7e425402 9267 408c 80ee 65b7e0e5cc92  2015 0106 classic swedish meatballs 444

I have a question about the recipe "Old-School Swedish Meatballs" from Corby. I meant to say, we have a non-pork eater in the household. Can I use all ground beef or would you recommend subbing something for the ground pork?

asked by Darlene about 2 years ago

Darlene - Yes, you could probably use all beef. But/and have a look at this chart recommending substitutes for pork in cooking, and see if it gives you some ideas.
http://myhalalkitchen.com/substitutes-for-pork-in-cooking/

Darlene

Thanks Nancy! I knew my teenage daughter was serious about not eating pork when she asked me to buy her marshmallows made with beef gelatin (who knew?). The link you provided will be very helpful!

Mrs Beryl Patmore

I've made these using only beef and they were just as good as when I made them with pork. In fact, with the added cream, I rather prefer them that way, as they are a bit lighter. I would not recommend using very lean beef, however. This is a favorite cold-weather dinner in our house!

Darlene

Thank you. That is helpful to know!

E E Faris

The meatballs won't have the exact same flavor, but they would still be good. I would probably substitute ground veal for some of the meat. Because the pork may be providing some fat for an unctuous feel, you might want to add some more fat or use some gelatin (which has already passed the test for acceptable at your house.)

Darlene

Makes sense. I will play around with it and see what works. And I think I'll make a batch with ground pork too for me and the other teenager in the house who is still eating pork.

Corby

I agree, this could work- I have never eaten veal, but I believe it has similar composition to pork. The gelatin may not be necessary, there is plenty of fat in the rest of the recipe!

janet erikso

I make my Swedish meatballs with ground turkey (as I have an annual Smorgasbord) since I have 2 daughters who won't eat pork or beef. My father-in-law (a very picky eater) didn't know and thought they tasted exactly like his Swedish mother's meatballs. The gravy they are in makes all the difference (and maybe the glogg we drink before dinner).

meet your baker

Last year I tried making this with all venison (super lean) because it was what I had around and they were delicious. A slightly different texture but still tender, and the flavors work well together!

Corby

I would just make sure the beef is very finely ground and not too lean. We typically ask at ten meat counter for a second grind on the pork we buy for this recipe to keep the meatballs tender.