What to do with sugar syrup leftover from making candied lemon peel?

I used 1 cup sugar + 1/2 cup water, boiled with lemon peel until thick, and syrupy. Removed peel to use for garnish. Now, what to do with lemon scented sugar syrup? Seems a waste to ditch it.

asked by Leah Mason about 2 years ago

sydney

See if your favorite bartender/mixologist would like to use it for work or experimenting. :-)

Valhalla

If you are not a drinker, then how about for tea? It will last months, so no need to throw it out.

Lisa

What about using it as a glaze on a lemon pound cake? Seems like it would work. :)

CookingJoy

add it to cookies and cakes...(vanilla=lemon cake) or as the poster below suggests in a frosting. I did the same with orange syrup

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I agree with Valhalla. I think it would be delicious in hot tea.

You could use it to make lemonade.

Toss it with mixed nuts and spread them on a Silpat (or parchment) lined cookie sheet to dry.