🔕 🔔

marion burros' plum torte ;

I bought some prune plums to make this, however after being left on the counter, the plums are still not sweet. Should I make the torte anyways, perhaps grill the plums first, or look for a sweeter plum.My friends are looking forward to this!

asked by Helen Drezner 11 months ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Roast them! With a little sweetener. Here's a temp guide: https://food52.com/recipes...

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

I made this with slightly underripe plums about a month ago, and it turned out great! the plums turned juicy and sweet while it was cooking. i wasn't expecting that to happen, but i was pleasantly surprised!

I have observed the same thing with a different plum cake recipe. The Italian prune plums were nothing special to eat out of hand but cooked with a sugary topping they turned delicious.

I would wait 2-4 days (check everyday) more while leaving them on the counter, in paper bag, mixed with 2-3 apples. Warmer areas (like under the windowsill) also make them ripe faster.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Make it! It will still taste delicious. Use the slightly higher amount of sugar - I think she adjusted the recipe over the years to reduce the amount - the original has a range of 3/4 to 1 cup.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I've been making this for decades, with all degrees of plum ripeness - never fails. Raw prune plums are usually kind of meh; baking brings out their essential pluminess.