A question about a recipe: Sweet Potato Rolls

I have a question about the recipe "Sweet Potato Rolls" from Posie Harwood. My sweet potato roll dough isn't rising!! The dough has been in a warm place for about 2 hours and is still super sticky and hasn't risen. What can I do?

• Posted by: mff9f
  • November 20, 2016
914c471c 041e 4200 aecf fdf163581ff4  dsc 1483
Recipe question for: Sweet Potato Rolls

Merrill Stubbs November 20, 2016

Is your yeast fresh?

mff9f
mff9f November 20, 2016

Yes! just bought it yesterday

Nancy November 20, 2016

When were you planning to eat the finished rolls?
If you have time, pop them in the fridge (covered) overnight for an unplanned cool rise. Take out tomorrow, let come to room temp (may take 3-4 hr), punch down, knead & see if there's any life in the dough.
As a former accidental fungicide (yeast-killer), I sympathize. I still remember the dough I was sure would rise, if only found the right spot in my then-apartment.
It didn't.
If you need it for a dinner later tonight & have enough ingredients - even if not a full recipe - start over. Proof the yeast (after 10 minutes are there nice bubbles and a characteristic yeast smell), don't make the milk-butter too hot, and go for a second attempt.
(BTW, even if you make a second set, it's still worth trying the slow rise overnight.)
Good luck!

mff9f
mff9f November 20, 2016

Thank you!!!!! This is super helpful