Interesting wines for Thanksgiving?

I know that Pinot Noir and Riesling are a few of the traditionally recommended wines for Thanksgiving dinner, but what are some more interesting ones that can be served up with the standard turkey, green beans, mashed potatoes, etc. (that isn't sparkling wine, we've got that covered with appetizers and desserts)?

Amanda Sims
Amanda Sims November 22, 2016

Hi Tiffany! I've been enjoying Etna Rosso's (and really any red from Sicily) these days—they're light like a Pinot Noir, but with a little bit more fruit going on. Would be refreshing but not too heavy alongside a Thanksgiving spread.

ChefJune November 22, 2016

check the features here on food52. there was a good article on just this recently.
My personal choices are not necessarily American, even tho I know lots of folks like to serve American wines on this day. My go-to's are cru Beaujolais such as Morgon, Fleurie, Julienas or Brouilly, and for white, a dry Riesling. Both are very adaptable and go with a wide variety of flavors..

Amanda Sims
Amanda Sims November 22, 2016

In defense of more Pinot Noir, here: https://food52.com/blog...

And some more inventive options: https://food52.com/blog...

PetetheBaker
PetetheBaker November 22, 2016

YES! Some less well known wines that work really well for the holiday. In general I look for lower alcohol (13% or less) wines with lots of acidity. Some options:

Arneis - a great Italian white varietal from Northern Italy. Crisp and light
Any Cru Beaujolais - there are 10 sub regions in Beaujolais and all use 100% Gamay grape. They are great for Thanksgiving.
Gruet Sparkling wine. This American Sparkling wine comes from New Mexico and is great with Thanksgiving.

A non-wine option which is fun is Alcoholic Apple Cider. A dry Cider is really nice and there are many good options now surfacing - also Fall and apples are great together.

PetetheBaker
PetetheBaker November 22, 2016

I know you have sparkling covered but I have throw in a plug for New Mexican wine any chance I get.

Tiffany Broadbent Beker
Tiffany Broadbent Beker November 22, 2016

Pete, what New Mexican wines do you recommend? I don't think I've seen many in my local shop.

PetetheBaker
PetetheBaker November 22, 2016

The New Mexican Wine is made by Gruet http://gruetwinery.com/

H-Town Veg
H-Town Veg November 22, 2016

Dry Riesling is my favorite white, but another interesting wine is Grüner Veltliner. It is minerally but not as fruit-forward as Riesling. The wine plays very well with food and is normally not too expensive.

sydney
sydney November 23, 2016

In terms of 'interesting' and conversation-starters (and if you live in a city where shops have access to a wide variety of wines), I'd buy Georgian wine done in earthen qvevri; wines from less-known French regions of Jura and the Savoie; and for the really adventurous definitely buy a couple bottles of what are called 'natural' wines. I'm also always trying to move people into dry sherry, so if you're curious buy a Fino, give it an excellent chill and serve with your appetizers. Definitely another conversation piece. Happy Thanksgiving :-)