Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Wine for Thanksgiving?

Zinfandels seem to get a lot of action from wine critics as an appropriate paring for the Turkey Day feast. Any other suggestions?

asked by meganvt01 about 5 years ago
766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Since many of the people in our family are sensitive to the sulfites in red wines, we tend to also offer a sparkling pinot grigio. I think it's especially great with the yam and vegetable dishes.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Champagne. Last year we brought 3 bottles to my partner's sister T-day. (which we had to deploy after the meal in diffrence to her husbands very Southern Baptist mother--old people need their respect).

We brought one Veuve Clicquot..nice bottle nice 'bling'..but what every one enjoyed was CostCo brand Kirkland..with the not so classy label. I did agree with the taste...it was more crisp and less fruity.
I'm not a big fan of overly sweet 'discount' Champagne, sparkling wine. But the CostCo product was amazingly dry and crisp. Not a pretty bottle tho if that's an issue.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Dymnyno would be a good person to ask. I'm not sure if she's getting messages currently, but wouldn't hurt to try!

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Yes to what everyone has said. And a friend of mine is the wine guy for the Seattle Times. I love his irreverence and his creativity and the way he speaks about all the wines he gets to taste. These two articles he wrote opened my eyes completely to wine pairings for Thanksgiving. So red, white, sparkling wines, champagnes - the fun is the tasting and talking about it.
http://seattletimes.nwsource...
http://seattletimes.nwsource...

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

We usually start with our Chardonnay (Cubic Zirconium) . For the main course, the turkey, we usually find a beaujolais nouveau , usually released about the same time as the holiday. Later, we move into our Syrah, then Cab Franc... The simplest answer is beaujolais nouveau.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I miss Sasha

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

We usually find a beaujolais nouveau. It's always fun to see what this year's wine is like! Usually a port with coffee at the end of the meal, if the food coma hasn't set in yet...

70c30ec0 fa36 42cd a600 899151dd1379  fb food composite1

Where you live (and how well-stocked your local wine shops are) will definitely impact your options. For the folks who tend to think red wine is too "heavy", you could probably please them with a Beaujolais Nouveau, as others have suggested -- hard to go wrong with a light, fruity red like that. More interesting, however, would be a Cru Beaujolais, which can hail from 10 different designated zones ("crus") within the Beaujolais region...they're fuller bodied than a nouveau (but still on the lighter side as reds go) and almost reminiscent of a pinot noir. Other off-the-beaten-path reds that are still "light" enough to pair with turkey include zweigelt from Austria or lagrein from northern Italy (those are the grapes - your wine shop can recommend a producer). A medium-bodied pinot would be lovely too. As for whites, even though I enjoy it, gewurtztraminer tends to polarize (one of those love-it or hate-it wines), so an off-dry Riesling (upstate NY has lots of delicious options) is a safer bet. I love Gruner Veltliner from Austria - it's definitely become more widely available, so you can probably find that at your local wine store - or perhaps a Godello from Spain. Lots of earlier replies mention sparklers -- if you're buying on a budget, Italian Prosecco or Spanish Cava offer many great values (and if you're keeping your Turkey day all-American, then look for Gruet from New Mexico - it's a real find, and a bargain at that).

P.S. I meant to throw in a plug for "What to Drink with What You Eat" by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg -- it's a fantastic (and in my house, well-thumbed) resource for food and wine pairing.

If you want to stick to great domestic wines and want a sparkling wine, Schramsberg makes some great ones! Also von Strasser makes the only domestic Gruner Veltliner. All his wines are great.

Personally, I don't think Red Zinfandel goes well with all the components of Thanksgiving Dinner. I think it got its rep because it's touted as an American grape. I think that although it's fruity, it's too high in alcohol and often not well balanced.

Beaujolais Nouveau (released on the third Thursday of November (conveniently) is a pretty good pairing for the rather sweet dishes many Americans serve for Turkey Day. I always offer a white wine as well -- not oaky, and a sparkling.

If you want to stick with American wines for Thanksgiving, Gruet from New Mexico makes a tasty and very affordable sparkling wine, and for your red, I'd go with a California Pinot Noir (also most are fruit forward).