A question about a recipe: Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls

I have a question about the recipe "Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls" from monkeymom. Can these be made two days ahead of time? For example, can I make the dough tonight and bake them on Thursday?

E758a4de c2c0 4045 868d 261ebeb00d7d  2014 1030 molasses rolls 008
Recipe question for: Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls

Ali Slagle
Ali Slagle November 22, 2016

Hi Emily: The dough will overproof if you make the dough tonight. One option is to make the dough the night before and leave it in the fridge for its first rise—or you could bake off the dough ahead of time and rewarm before serving.

Susan W November 22, 2016

It actually says it does well if you let the dough proof overnight in the fridge. Two days may be pushing it, but if you read through the comments, you may find one regarding that. I love reading comments.

AntoniaJames November 22, 2016

Overnight proof, yes. Longer than that, with this recipe, no. The texture and flavor will both suffer. You could proof tonight, shape and par-bake tomorrow morning, and then finish them on Thursday. Or put the dough together tomorrow night. The great thing about the overnight proof is that you don't need to knead as much, because the gluten will form on its own over time.
Also, if time is going to be short tomorrow evening, organize/measure your ingredients tonight, get your bowl and other equipment out at the ready, etc., to make it easier tomorrow evening. ;o)