I should have cooked my roux longer for my gravy and now it tastes too floury. Can I fix it or do I have to start over?

Recipe said cook until golden 2-4 minutes. It probably should have specified deeply golden.

asked by Megan Hornbeak almost 2 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

How much are you working with? If it's a small amount, you could mix this into another batch with a roux that's more cooked. But since we have time, for the best results I'd start again. (In a pinch, though, you could also try adding a few more flavor enhancers, like soy, or a bit of sherry, to see if those help mask the flouriness.)

Megan Hornbeak

I will give the soy a shot, or maybe some liquid aminos. Gravy is pretty easy so starting over is no biggy. I just hate being wasteful! Thanks

I like your idea of liquid Caminos. It's milder and a touch sweet so you could add more and not risk an Asian flavor profile...although, Asian profile may be kind of awesome.

Kenzi Wilbur

Yes! One of my favorite gravies on the site uses soy (the veg mushroom thyme gravy) and it's not too overpowering. And Megan, I bet that floury gravy would do well to enrich a strongly flavored soup in the future if you want to freeze + save.

Don't ask me how I know the soy can be too much of a kapow if overdone. Or..just call me "more is better". :)

Megan Hornbeak

Maybe I'll use it as a savory pie base

Megan Hornbeak

Or chicken and dumplings :)

Chicken and dumplings sounds so good right now!!