I should have cooked my roux longer for my gravy and now it tastes too floury. Can I fix it or do I have to start over?

Recipe said cook until golden 2-4 minutes. It probably should have specified deeply golden.

Kenzi Wilbur
Kenzi Wilbur November 23, 2016

How much are you working with? If it's a small amount, you could mix this into another batch with a roux that's more cooked. But since we have time, for the best results I'd start again. (In a pinch, though, you could also try adding a few more flavor enhancers, like soy, or a bit of sherry, to see if those help mask the flouriness.)

Megan Hornbeak
Megan Hornbeak November 23, 2016

I will give the soy a shot, or maybe some liquid aminos. Gravy is pretty easy so starting over is no biggy. I just hate being wasteful! Thanks

Susan W November 23, 2016

I like your idea of liquid Caminos. It's milder and a touch sweet so you could add more and not risk an Asian flavor profile...although, Asian profile may be kind of awesome.

Kenzi Wilbur
Kenzi Wilbur November 23, 2016

Yes! One of my favorite gravies on the site uses soy (the veg mushroom thyme gravy) and it's not too overpowering. And Megan, I bet that floury gravy would do well to enrich a strongly flavored soup in the future if you want to freeze + save.

Susan W November 23, 2016

Don't ask me how I know the soy can be too much of a kapow if overdone. Or..just call me "more is better". :)

Megan Hornbeak
Megan Hornbeak November 23, 2016

Maybe I'll use it as a savory pie base

Megan Hornbeak
Megan Hornbeak November 23, 2016

Or chicken and dumplings :)

Susan W November 23, 2016

Chicken and dumplings sounds so good right now!!