Roux for turkey gravy

The gravy maker in our house usually makes the gravy by browning flour in the bottom of the roasting pan and then adding the drippings and stirring/mashing the lumps out. We'd like to try making the gravy with a roux this year . I think I read that roux is a one to one ratio of oil to flour, but then how long should I cook the roux or what color/stage should I be looking for?

• Posted by: mt gal
  • November 25, 2015

Caroline Lange
Caroline Lange November 25, 2015

hi! this article should have everything you need: https://food52.com/blog...

Cav
Cav November 25, 2015

Your gravy maker is making a roux. A roux is flour and fat, and that fat can be turkey drippings.

The lighter the roux, the more thickening power it has. The darker, the more flavour it adds. For a gravy I'll take it to a Blonde roux as it's the flavour of the drippings and stock etc I want in that gravy.

Kenzi Wilbur
Kenzi Wilbur November 25, 2015

Agree with everything here, and for a blonde roux, you'll usually need to cook for 3 to 5 minutes!

Michael
Michael November 25, 2015

I don't have a problem making the roux but am never sure how much to make if I'm making enough gravy for 18 people.