🔕 🔔

Roux for turkey gravy

The gravy maker in our house usually makes the gravy by browning flour in the bottom of the roasting pan and then adding the drippings and stirring/mashing the lumps out. We'd like to try making the gravy with a roux this year . I think I read that roux is a one to one ratio of oil to flour, but then how long should I cook the roux or what color/stage should I be looking for?

asked by mt gal over 1 year ago

D0abaf68 a3aa 4105 a15a 732c3fd0d9ee  186158

hi! this article should have everything you need: https://food52.com/blog...

Cav

Your gravy maker is making a roux. A roux is flour and fat, and that fat can be turkey drippings.

The lighter the roux, the more thickening power it has. The darker, the more flavour it adds. For a gravy I'll take it to a Blonde roux as it's the flavour of the drippings and stock etc I want in that gravy.

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Agree with everything here, and for a blonde roux, you'll usually need to cook for 3 to 5 minutes!

I don't have a problem making the roux but am never sure how much to make if I'm making enough gravy for 18 people.