🔕 🔔

tough sausage

I have made pork/venison sausage the last two years but it seems to be tough. What do I need to change?

asked by Bill 9 months ago

How much fat are you using? You will need about 30% or more.

If you can post your recipe, it will help to identify the issue(s).

I use a premix of spices from my local butcher. The same mix he uses for venison sausage. We use 12 lbs of pork trimmings and 13 lbs venison. Could I be grinding it too fine?

@Bill, venison tends to be very lean. Do you have any idea how much fat is in the pork trimmings? You really need quite a bit of fat in sausage to keep it moist and tender. You might have to add some fat back to do this.