Accidentally boiled milk for yogurt

Usually heat to 190-195 (per Melissa Clark nyt recipe) but lost track and let it boil. Should I roll with it or am I ruint for this batch. Thx.

asked by wtbryce almost 2 years ago

Aisha

If you just let it cool down to about 104-113F (40-45C) you should be fine. Scalding milk may actually help achieve a ticker, firmer texture because of how it modifies the different components of milk. The important thing is to have it back down at a temperature that your bacterial cultures can survive in and thrive before you add them (the 104-113 range).

Panfusine

let it cool down before adding the culture. In fact boiling milk and setting yogurt after cooling it IS THE only way I've seen it made.

Becca Mahoney
added about 1 month ago

So glad I checked here first! Just did the same thing wtbryce. I've really struggled to "heat to 180 and hold for 20 minutes" thing (Cusinart yogurt maker instructions) Thx y'all!