🔕 🔔

Accidentally boiled milk for yogurt

Usually heat to 190-195 (per Melissa Clark nyt recipe) but lost track and let it boil. Should I roll with it or am I ruint for this batch. Thx.

asked by wtbryce 11 months ago

If you just let it cool down to about 104-113F (40-45C) you should be fine. Scalding milk may actually help achieve a ticker, firmer texture because of how it modifies the different components of milk. The important thing is to have it back down at a temperature that your bacterial cultures can survive in and thrive before you add them (the 104-113 range).

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

let it cool down before adding the culture. In fact boiling milk and setting yogurt after cooling it IS THE only way I've seen it made.