What do you like to serve with braised pork shoulder?

The recipe is braised in apple cider all day long in a low oven. I don't have any ideas about what to serve with it...open to your great suggestions.

asked by Stephanie G almost 2 years ago

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I like a vinegary coleslaw http://www.foodnetwork... . another option, sauerkraut & apples

Mashed Potatoes, Cauliflower Puree, Stewed Greens just to name a few...

Uncle Jess

Works well in tacos. dress with some shredded cabbage, diced pineapple, jalapeno or poblano chiles, pickled red onions, vinaigrette. Good especially if you have leftover pork.

The Principal Cook

It depends upon the season and what I'm going for. If it's winter, I'm probably pairing it with something like a sweet-potato/Yukon Gold mash and some kind of earthy green vegetable like a braised Valero cabbage or oven-roasted Brussels sprouts or broccoli. Roasting it over apples and onions is also good.

If it's warm, I'm thinking BBQ: slaw, spicy beans, etc.

The Principal Cook

Oops. [email protected] autocorrect.... That should "kale or cabbage." Not sure what "Valero cabbage" would be....

Gjelina roasted cauliflower with garlic confit, parsley and red wine vinegar, https://food52.com/recipes... or simple parsley potatoes (Yukon golds, boiled and tossed while hot with a touch of wine vinegar, salt and a slick of olive oil, and then with chopped parsley). A beet and orange salad with a sharp Dijon vinaigrette would also do nicely here. ;o)

P.S. You need to make garlic confit for that cauliflower, but it can easily be done while the pork is braising. Once you make it, you will be so glad you did, and will be looking for ways to use it every day. Seriously.

gwen soto

Polenta with greens on the side can be great on day one. Black beans with rice and tomatillo salsa, day two. Tacos with the leftover sides for lunches if there are still leftovers. Ooops almost forgot enchiladas verdes with that pork folded in, the salsa or green chile enchilada sauce and some of those black beans on the side! Enjoy!

Stephanie G

These ideas are great....it's going to be hard to decide. Antonia James, I have the Gjelina cookbook but have shied away from making the garlic confit. You've convinced me to try it!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I love creamy polenta and a shaved bitter green salad. Simple and heartwarming.

Laura

I usually cook some apples in the sauce at the end and serve over cheesy grits with a dash of hot sauce. Some brussel sprouts roasted with herbs and apple chunks make a great side.