🔕 🔔

Cast Iron Pot and Canned Tomatoes

I am making Andy Ward & Jenny Rosenstrach's Pork Shoulder Ragu ( https://food52.com/recipes... ) and am planning on using a cast iron pot as it is the best size i have to use in the oven. Is there going to be an issue as the recipe uses canned tomatoes? Is there something about a reaction? Suggestions and help please!

asked by Michele 9 months ago

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

There was a somewhat extensive discussion on this a few days ago- most people seemed to feel that a well cured skillet was pretty safe with tomatoes, but it's really safest to stay away from it- I would say that with a larger pot and long cooking time, it's probably not a good idea.

Do you have the link to that topic? Was it an actual article or an answer posted in the hotline? I'd like to read it for my own kitchen knowledge!

It was a hotline topic- I think it was titled "cast iron conflict"- it wasn't more than a week ago.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Here's the link: https://food52.com/hotline...

Thanks for the answer - I have transferred it to stainless steel (not as good a size as the cast iron) but I don't want to ruin the pork. Many thanks!