Cast Iron Pot and Canned Tomatoes

I am making Andy Ward & Jenny Rosenstrach's Pork Shoulder Ragu ( https://food52.com/recipes... ) and am planning on using a cast iron pot as it is the best size i have to use in the oven. Is there going to be an issue as the recipe uses canned tomatoes? Is there something about a reaction? Suggestions and help please!

• Posted by: Michele
  • February 4, 2017

Smaug February 4, 2017

There was a somewhat extensive discussion on this a few days ago- most people seemed to feel that a well cured skillet was pretty safe with tomatoes, but it's really safest to stay away from it- I would say that with a larger pot and long cooking time, it's probably not a good idea.

Lost_in_NYC
Lost_in_NYC February 5, 2017

Do you have the link to that topic? Was it an actual article or an answer posted in the hotline? I'd like to read it for my own kitchen knowledge!

Smaug February 5, 2017

It was a hotline topic- I think it was titled "cast iron conflict"- it wasn't more than a week ago.

Michele
Michele February 4, 2017

Thanks for the answer - I have transferred it to stainless steel (not as good a size as the cast iron) but I don't want to ruin the pork. Many thanks!