A question about a recipe: Funfetti Cake

01c4da5b 9017 4fcd a640 07f5a1bfb0c3  funfetti f52 2

I have a question about the recipe "Funfetti Cake" from molly yeh. Would I be able to double this recipe and bake it in a 10 in round pan?

asked by Adriana over 1 year ago

Do you mean two 10" layers? Should work OK; the layers will be a bit thicker and will take some longer to bake. It will be a REALLY big cake.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

If I need to compare batter sizes, Joy of Baking has a resource for that: http://www.joyofbaking...

I just look for the pans the recipe calls for, then I find the pans I want to use. I compare the volumes and do a bit of math to find out how to increase the recipe. For example if I have a recipe for 8" pans and I want to make it in 10" pans, I divide 6 cups of volume by 11 cups and find that I need to increase the recipe by 55%. You can double the recipe of this cake, but you will end up with quite a bit extra. That's not a bad problem to have, but someone like me who likes to budget, that's too much waste.

All of my recipes are in metric, so its simple to increase by any amount without ending up with awkward volumetric measurements.

It's simpler than that, since. In this case, the surface area of a 10" will be less than the surface area of the two 8" by a factor of 25/32, so it will be approximately 1 1/4 times the depth, probably an acceptable increase- as long as your 10" pans are reasonably deep you shouldn't have any waste.