Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

hi pickle please help I have scollops for dinner and I need to know how and what is the best way to cook them

asked by @Sharky30 almost 6 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I like them best seared. You will need them to be dry. Place them on a plate lined with paper towels or a clean tea towel, then place more towels on top of them and allow to rest for several minutes to absorb the water. Heat oil in your pan on med-high to high heat until it just starts to smoke. Add the scallops and don't crowd the pan. This may need to be done in 2 batches. Flip the scallops after they have become nicely caramelized about 1.5 to 2 minutes. Add a tablespoon of butter to the pan. Cook until firm and the scallops have just turned opaque, then remove. If doing in 2 batches wipe out the pan in between and start fresh. Keep the cooked scallops covered with a foil tent also.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Here are some recipes to get you started.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Mark Bittman's recipe for scallops with basil is one of my favorites: Here it is, verbatim:

This is among the most impressive and wonderful dishes I know; the hardest part is finding good sea scallops and fresh basil. Feel free to make it on the stove top if you don't want to grill: Just heat a large, deep skillet and brown the scallops on both sides, with only the oil that clings to them.

1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds or more large sea scallops

Mince the basil, garlic, salt and pepper together until very fine, almost a puree (you can do this in a food processor, but it really won't save you time or effort). Mix in a small bowl or cup with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.

Make a deep horizontal slit in the side of each of the scallops, but don't cut all the way through. Fill each scallop with about ? teaspoon of the basil mixture; close. Pour the remaining oil onto a plate or pan and turn the scallops in it. Let sit while you preheat a gas grill or start a charcoal fire; it should be very hot before grilling, with the rack about 4 inches from the heat source.

Place the scallops on the grill (don't pour the remaining oil over them, as it will catch fire), and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, no more. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.

80cc9648 9cfe 4049 92f3 f6fef0f3a439  fb avatar

depends on the type. is they are big sea scallops, then seared - super hot and not too long with butter is all that is needed. I have also doen nori bound scallops a few times and serve with a nice asian inspired vinaigrette. If they are bay scallops, then a nice sauteed pasta sauce works well.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Love seared scallops, but only the big sea ones work well this way. Make sure they're very dry, the pan is good and hot, and resist the urge to turn them until they're well seared on the bottom. You only want to flip them once.

Bay scallops don't sear well - or rather, by the time they do they'll be like little rubber erasers. They're best used in pastas, chowders, broths, ceviches, etc.

With bays you could also do an old school Coquilles St.-Jacques - rich, delicious and kind of retro (this recipe doesn't specify, but bay work best here): http://www.epicurious.com...

Lots of good advice, especially on size and searing!

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

I love seared scallops in a restaurant but have never been happy with my own efforts. In frustration, I tried going the other way. I melted a nice amount of butter then cooked the scallops over low heat, basting with the butter they were cooking in until done. Sorry--I can't say how long; you'll need to judge. That has become my homestyle scallops. It's nice because I can still order them in a restaurant and have a different treatment.