hi pickle please help I have scollops for dinner and I need to know how and what is the best way to cook them

asked by @Sharky30 over 7 years ago

I like them best seared. You will need them to be dry. Place them on a plate lined with paper towels or a clean tea towel, then place more towels on top of them and allow to rest for several minutes to absorb the water. Heat oil in your pan on med-high to high heat until it just starts to smoke. Add the scallops and don't crowd the pan. This may need to be done in 2 batches. Flip the scallops after they have become nicely caramelized about 1.5 to 2 minutes. Add a tablespoon of butter to the pan. Cook until firm and the scallops have just turned opaque, then remove. If doing in 2 batches wipe out the pan in between and start fresh. Keep the cooked scallops covered with a foil tent also.

Here are some recipes to get you started.

wssmom

Mark Bittman's recipe for scallops with basil is one of my favorites: Here it is, verbatim:

This is among the most impressive and wonderful dishes I know; the hardest part is finding good sea scallops and fresh basil. Feel free to make it on the stove top if you don't want to grill: Just heat a large, deep skillet and brown the scallops on both sides, with only the oil that clings to them.

1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds or more large sea scallops

Mince the basil, garlic, salt and pepper together until very fine, almost a puree (you can do this in a food processor, but it really won't save you time or effort). Mix in a small bowl or cup with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.

Make a deep horizontal slit in the side of each of the scallops, but don't cut all the way through. Fill each scallop with about ? teaspoon of the basil mixture; close. Pour the remaining oil onto a plate or pan and turn the scallops in it. Let sit while you preheat a gas grill or start a charcoal fire; it should be very hot before grilling, with the rack about 4 inches from the heat source.

Place the scallops on the grill (don't pour the remaining oil over them, as it will catch fire), and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, no more. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.

jwolfsthal

depends on the type. is they are big sea scallops, then seared - super hot and not too long with butter is all that is needed. I have also doen nori bound scallops a few times and serve with a nice asian inspired vinaigrette. If they are bay scallops, then a nice sauteed pasta sauce works well.

Love seared scallops, but only the big sea ones work well this way. Make sure they're very dry, the pan is good and hot, and resist the urge to turn them until they're well seared on the bottom. You only want to flip them once.

Bay scallops don't sear well - or rather, by the time they do they'll be like little rubber erasers. They're best used in pastas, chowders, broths, ceviches, etc.

With bays you could also do an old school Coquilles St.-Jacques - rich, delicious and kind of retro (this recipe doesn't specify, but bay work best here): http://www.epicurious.com...

ChefDaddy

Lots of good advice, especially on size and searing!

Nora

I love seared scallops in a restaurant but have never been happy with my own efforts. In frustration, I tried going the other way. I melted a nice amount of butter then cooked the scallops over low heat, basting with the butter they were cooking in until done. Sorry--I can't say how long; you'll need to judge. That has become my homestyle scallops. It's nice because I can still order them in a restaurant and have a different treatment.