what is cookie butter?

I'm starting a recipe that calls for cookie butter and I have no idea what it is

asked by Casey over 1 year ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Cookie butter is made of ground speculoos cookies (and is also known as Biscoff spread: http://www.target.com/p...). Trader Joe's makes a popular variety, and you can also make your own from graham crackers: https://food52.com/recipes....

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Its heaven in a jar.

How do you use it? In recipes or eat it like a butter spread? BB

Its as versatile as Nutella, I'd imagine. Its fabulous on toast, extraordinary on waffles...I've baked it into the centers of chocolate chip cookies, I've put it in milkshakes, a chef of mine had us bake it into croissants...I made an entire speculoos cake with brown sugar cake, cookie butter buttercream, cookie butter spread and crushed Biscoff......I've never been known to eat it directly off a spoon, though.........