🔕 🔔

I used cookie butter instead of butter... what do i do

I am making chocolate chip cookies. I used cookie butter instead of butter because someone told me it was a great substitute. How do I fix this?

asked by Rosemarie about 1 month ago

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

added about 1 month ago

Is the dough coming together? At what point in the recipe are you? That will help us answer your question. Some thoughts: if the dough came together and looks all right, bake one per the recipe and see how it tastes. If it looks too dry, can you cream in an additional portion of butter (not the whole amount, but perhaps 1/3 --I'm guessing here). Cookie dough holds well in the refrigerator and some even suggest wrapping it and letting it sit in the fridge for a day or two to allow the flour to hydrate and the flavors to blend, so unless you are in a rush, you have time to consider your options.

added about 1 month ago

It wasn't pulling together. It was very dry. I added the original call for butter (1 stick at a time) and it came together. I won't make that mistakr again.

3d6b515c 5134 4af9 8148 ce3943eda528  1px white
added about 1 month ago

Never heard of cookie butter nor have I used it.

Why don't you just bake a couple of cookies with that dough and see if you like it?

If you don't like the result, just make another batch using the recipe's original ingredients and instructions.

22fd5949 f671 4eca 9819 de5858b39390  img 7382

added about 1 month ago

Or you could pat it into a pan and make bars.

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

added about 1 month ago

I would definitely suggest a quick google before you take strange baking advice.

added about 1 month ago

How did they come out? Following PieceOfLayerCake's advice, there are some online recipes for cookies utilizing cookie butter, some are without any added butter. Most likely there are adjustments to the amount of flour and other ingredients to avoid the dryness that you experienced initially. It's ok to experiment but it's also a good idea to refer to various sources in order to adjust proportions.