🔕 🔔

Psst: Did you catch that contests are back?!

We've had a lot of content lately, and with Piglet about to begin I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss that contests are back (and better than ever with a $500 prize for the Shop!). Read all about it here: https://food52.com/blog...

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

asked 6 months ago

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

good news! unfortunately I have no date recipes, will wait for the next one.

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

You've still got a week to come up with one! :)

Dates are a very specific ingredient, and not particularly versatile, imho.

1f596ae9 f36c 4022 8b52 0c8583fd70b0  meg b f52

CJ - agreed on the versatility. Myself and another cook expressed to the F52 team that it was pretty disappointing to see that the contest specifically asked for savory date recipes - and half the CPs were sweet. I didn't include sweet date recipes because I am a rule follower and then I was annoyed afterwards that I didn't do it anyways. Now having to wait for months for another contest - I am afraid I (and many others) will lose enthusiasm.

Hi Megan, our client had a change of heart midway through the contest and was interested in sweet ones, too. We'd still hoped to keep all of the featured ones savory to honor the original contest language, but unfortunately, we didn't get enough savory recipes to do so and had to pull in some sweet ones. I'm a rule follower too and understand your disappointment and frustration. I'm very sorry. I know it's not much consolation, but please know that we're working hard to make sure something like that doesn't happen again.

Ca7fccb8 666c 41dc a074 438636998431  spiceroute

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I had missed the contests!! I checked and checked so many times! I am so glad that they are back!

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Happy to see that the contests are back.....sad that they're only four times per year....would prefer maybe monthly? The prize is wonderful, for sure, but I don't think that's what motivates most of us to enter.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I agree! 4x a year? Monthly would be great it's such a highlight of the site. It seems as the "community" participation is so lost within the site.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Agree with you both. I'm sorry it's only 4x/year. I valued the original "celebrating home cooks" angle. It seems to be less important; Chops's observation is on point. I loved the community picks.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

I agree. I'm not interested in cooking with dates so I'm waiting this out and I'm bored.

A7ddfad8 0c86 45e9 84e3 db0f6f338e14  barefoot contessa

I completely agree-the prize is lovely-but I just want the contests back! Even though I never entered, I loved trying new recipes from the community picks each time. I also loved to check all the new entries Avery couple of days. Even 4x a year, has for me, destroyed the comraderie I felt with the community and individual participants. And then the first contest was about dates and then changed. What a disappointment. However, the good news is that I have discovered many new food blogs to feed my obsession with "trying something new."

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

One of my favorite parts of the contests is having a new set of community picks that has been tested and reviewed (and some photographed by Food52) at the end of each cycle. Since the contests are now quarterly, do you have plans to test/photograph/feature recipes from community members between contests? I love seeing recipes labeled as community picks because I'm more likely to find them (and make them)! : )

Celebrating home cooks and our community is absolutely still a priority! The way the contests were set up before wasn't doing the recipes and the stories behind them justice, we wanted to give even more of a pedestal to the cooks and their recipes.

The number of contests have been reduced, but featuring community recipes hasn't! We're now doing more single recipe posts to feature Community Picks (check out the topic pages for Community and Heirloom Recipes). So yes, we are looking for them (and testing and photographing) weekly, but you can always tell us about ones you think are great too! You can always submit them to [email protected] (and I'm always looking for recipes that utilize scraps! send those to me at [email protected]..).

If you're looking for ways to celebrate the cooks in the Food52 community, you could let us know whose recipes have been included in these newest books (ice cream, salad, etc). Seems to me that would encourage purchase of the books as well as celebrate the contributors.

The Baking cookbook does not include attribution of all the non-staff community member contributors' recipes (only some of them) in the book itself, which I find appalling. I agree that it would be nice to know whose recipes were selected - although the fairness of that whole process seems questionable, reinforcing altogether the serious and objectionable playing of favourites and promotion of insiders, which frankly has driven me away from Food52.

C4950803 7ae7 4d2a 9c91 ff8b856fe028  dscf0339

I can't find Community and Heirloom Recipes. Am I looking in the wrong place? I'm looking under the recipes tab

@Rachelwrites. The only way I found "community" and heirloom recipes is clicking on the site map.

Rachelwrites, you can find Heirloom Recipes here: https://food52.com/topics...

Thank you. I guess I'm asking how do I get to that page or the topics page without coming here for the link?

Rachelwrites, do what I do whenever I need to find something here that's not intuitively searchable on the site. Go to Google and in this case, type in exactly food52 + "heirloom recipes" making sure you include the quotes, just as shown, and the plus sign. The link should appear first under the Food52 AdWords ad at the top of the search results page. Hope this helps. ;o)

Rachelwrites, I know neither is idea, but I personally use both Chops' suggestion of going to the sitemap (found at the bottom of the page) and AJ's of using Google.

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Mrs Beryl Patmore, you're right -- we committed a significant oversight during the editing process of the Baking book, which led to inconsistent credit given to contributors. As soon as we realized our error, we added a one-page tip-in to the second half of the first print run, as well as the second run, that acknowledged every recipe creator by name. We also sent an apology to everyone who had contributed a recipe. All future runs included the full contributor list within the printed pages of the book. We absolutely regret this mistake, and we have and will continue to pay very close attention to the credits on all of our books.

E75016e9 47b6 4c16 9726 60e0e83283ba  22073 1321490391675 6875987 n
Ali Slagle

Books Editor and Stylist at Food52.

Hi ChefJune, Here's a link a post that celebrates some of the faces behind our newest books: https://food52.com/blog...

Why are recipes by Food52 Community Picks? It's misleading. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to call the staff or Food52 Picks? One more comment... Every time I read through the home page for content and attempt to read an article the photos interrupt and take over the written word. My eyes glaze over. The photos are rarely related to the actual topic and it's just a click-through. And the site model is now reminding me of the kitchn. I will now attempt to find the community "Heirloom" posts on my own - its not intuitive.

SLC: I suggested the very same thing a while back. But I guess they're married to this "Community" idea. To me, when the staff picks it it's not the whole Food52 community...

The labeling of recipes is on our radar, unfortunately, we don't have a quick fix for it. I appreciate you bringing up the issue again, and I'm sorry that it's not ideal at the moment.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I too feel that only 4 contests a year are too few. The prize pales in comparison to seeing and trying more recipes, and being reminded of recipes that have been archived but not brought to the forefront without being entered in contests. Also,I miss the newest recipes link as well as being able to see the number of views that a recipe has.

Stretching out the contest as you have done with this Date contest makes it VERY uninteresting - at least to me. I understand if you don't want to have a contest running all the time, but my suggestion would be to stage a contest, choose a winner, announce it, and then do whatever other activities you all have planned. This current contest is stringing out to forever. Boring.

I was really hoping for some word from Amanda or Merrill. Crickets. I guess they've gotten so successful now they don't need us...

Hi ChefJune, and everyone else here. Sorry we haven't weighed in sooner -- we hadn't seen this thread until now. We hear your concerns, and as always any conversation that generates this much feedback becomes a topic of discussion for us internally. As Lindsay-Jean mentioned above, anything (like, for example, altering the labeling of featured recipes) that requires technical work requires prioritization and cannot happen overnight; we ask for your patience here. As for contest frequency, one of the reasons not mentioned above for why we shifted to a quarterly schedule is that as of late, we have not been getting the same volume of entries for each contest as in the past. Executing a recipe contest from start to finish is a very big lift for our editorial and creative teams (not to mention the community testers who generously volunteer their time), and we want to be respectful of this. We're hopeful that fewer contests will lead to more robust entry numbers, and a better ability on our part to really dig into those entries and vet/feature a large pool of community recipes with each contest that runs. And, as Lindsay-Jean noted, we will continue to pull community recipes on a regular basis to feature in articles, on the home page and on social media. - Amanda & Merrill

Thanks for responding, Merrill.
It seems to me if you're going to have so many fewer contests that a more general topic than "Dates" would be attract more entries. I, for one, wasn't interested to create anything along those lines. I don't think of dates as a savory ingredient. And it seems I'm not alone.