Cookbook Club (3/3) -- What questions do you have for author Kate McDermott?

She'll be answering here, live, from 12 - 1 PM (EST) today!

former Community Editor

asked over 1 year ago

Matt Joseph

Hi Kate, Love the book. Just curious as to where you look for baking inspiration, do you have any favorite blogs or websites that you follow?

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Thanks for the question, Matt. My inspiration always has been to see what is fresh and in season, and striving to find produce that has flavor. With my teaching and writing, plus starting a new garden from scratch (20x40) and adding to my orchard at Pie Cottage, I don't spend a lot of time looking at other blogs or websites. I do read alot! And one of my current favorite book is Simran Sethi's BREAD, WINE, CHOCOLATE: The Slow Loss of Foods We Love.

former Community Editor

Kate, is there a type of pie (or a handful of pies) that you find yourself turning to most frequently? Or are you always mixing it up with different types?

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

The first pie of each season's newly ripe fruit is always exciting and I'm always open to trying new fruits.

Susan

Hi Kate, I love the custard pies you have included in the book. And while I love custard in general, it is usually too sweet for me. Is there a way to reduce the sugar and still have it set up properly?

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Hi Susan- I would try the recipes first as they are written. Then carefully reduce the sugar by 2 tablespoons or so at a time and bake another and see how it goes.

former Community Editor

There are so many fun design details in Art of the Pie, like the splotches on some of the pages and the front and back cover! What inspired those? (And can we expect more fun surprises like that in your next book?!)

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Nick Caruso, the book designer for ART OF THE PIE is simply amazing and deserves so much credit for the look of the final book. I'm hoping that we will get to work together again...and that I'll be lucky enough to partner with Andrew Scrivani for photos for the next book, too!

Laura Ratliff

This is such a good question! My husband noticed one of the splotches from far away and he thought that one of our dogs had drooled on the book. :P

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Andrew Scrivani thought the same thing! We all LOVE the splotches.

Susan

Thanks Kate! The apple and sausage pie was so good - and seemed to be a favorite among other cookbook club members. I do wonder about reducing the liquid. I failed at it - twice - and it was suggested to try boiled cider. Have you ever used boiled cider and would you recommend it to someone who can't seem to get the process down?

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Boiled cider would be a wonderful substitution. I'm glad you like the pie!

Matt Joseph

Do you have any plans to do one of your Pie Workshops anywhere in the Northeast?

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Hopefully I'll make it to the East Coast in 2017 Matt. (I'm over due!)

cindy

I did a butter crust and the crust tasted delicious but it was so incredibly hard to cut. What did I do wrong?

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

In general I think the best words in making dough are to stop before you think you are done so that you won't over mix. An all butter crust is absolutely delicious but it will never be as tender as a leaf lard/butter, or vegetable shortening/butter crust. There is no water in leaf lard of shortening but there is in butter. When the water steams off it will combine with the flour and form gluten which is why it is not as tender.

Spenser Durrick

Kate, I just want to thank you for writing this book because I have never made a pie in my life before until I started reading Art of the Pie this month. So far, I have made 3 pies in a little over a week now and shared them all with the ones that I love. I have had so much fun flipping through the book and challenging myself to something new. I definitely plan on making more pies throughout the year as more fruits get into season. I live in Arizona, and I was wondering if you plan on doing any workshops over here in the desert any time soon?

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Hi Spenser- No plans at this time. I taught in Tucson last year in 98F heat! Even though the kitchen AC was on, it was a challenge so next time I'm hoping it might be a little cooler. I'm delighted that you like the book.

Spenser Durrick

Hi Kate. Yes, the elevation and the heat here definitely makes it challenging for sure. However, if you ever plan on coming to AZ again to teach, I recommend coming between December and early February to avoid the heat! May be a little easier :)

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Sound great!

Laura Ratliff

Hi Kate, man cannot live on pie alone! What do you like to cook/eat when you're not having pie?

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Laura, I don't eat many of the pies I make but give them away. I make a lot of Mexican inspired food, lots of stir fries, and smoothies!

Aryss

The all butter pie crust is one of the most flaky, delicious crusts I have EVER had. However, I'm having a terrible time with shrinkage. I placed the pie in the freezer to chill before baking but it still seems to shrivel up. Maybe there's something I'm missing? You are supposed to trim the rolled dough to the edge of the pie plate, correct?

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Shrinkage happens with pie dough. If you are having regular issues with it, then adjust the amount you trim to compensate for it. I'm sure you are probably always rolling out from the center and not back and forth but thought I would mention that as well.

cindy

Kate-first and foremost love your cook book. When using the leaf lard do you have to worry about the "pork lard" flavor competing against the fruit/custard fillings in the pies?

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Thank you so much Cindy! Rendered lard does not make a porky flavored pie in my experience but make sure you are buying actual leaf lard and not back fat which is stronger flavored. The breed of pig can affect the flavor too for example Mangalitsa pigs have a wonderful flavor of meat but the fat, in my opinion, is too strongly flavored...it is a little softer fat too so it is a little trickier to use. Berkshires are a great breed.

MomMom

Made dough for fried pies - have dried up some - loved them - still have a few balls of dough in fridge - been there for 2 days - can I still use them?

MomMom

I made the chess pie - the recipe didn't specify doing a blind bake bottom crust - should I have assumed that because of the custard filling? The bottom crust was a bit soggy but the upper edges were wonderfully flaky