🔕 🔔

Roasting whole chicken - finding a cooler spot

When I roast a chicken I use a temp alert probe placed between leg and breast. When the timer goes off at 165° I can usually move the probe around and find a spot lower than 165 - usually nearer the cavity. Am I placing the probe wrong? Should I roast until the coolest spot I can find reads 165?

asked by Katie 5 months ago

I always use the thigh, and make sure to place it in the meatiest part, well clear of the bone. The breast cooks the fastest; it will read done soonest. And don't underestimate the value of a good 15-minute rest for a roast chicken. It will raise the meat temperature several degrees.