Roasting a whole, deboned, stuffed duck

I am going to attempt to debone, stuff, and roast a whole duck tomorrow. If I don't screw up the first part (!!!) I am still unsure about the roasting temp - I have a dread of dry livery breast meat which happens when you overcook in a skillet but I haven't had that problem roasting bone-in - ack! Help! Temps and times ideas? (Ps the stuffing is going to be some sort of gingery-rice affair)

navahfrost
navahfrost January 22, 2016

Have you ever steamed a duck first and then put in the oven? I have only done it with duck that is in tact with bones, but the result was excellent. If you did it I would steam it first for a hour without the stuffing and then stuff before putting it in the oven. To finish in the oven, I'd put it up on a high heat, 400 maybe, or on convection bake, which gets the skin nice and crispy?

aargersi January 22, 2016

I have not! But I am intrigued! Do you just season it with salt and pepper and then steam in ... Something big? Hmm ... Smoked tea steam perhaps? I like that idea because the stuffing will be cooked and will just need to get warm inside Msr Duck

Susan W January 22, 2016

Abbie, do you by chance own a wok? That would make for a good vessel. Mine came with a perforated tray that would hold your duck beautifully.

aargersi January 22, 2016

I do - I'll have to see if he fits in it! I could rig a tray

Nancy January 22, 2016

This recipe for stuffed deboned duck uses farro as the stuffing, but may be a helpful guide.
http://leitesculinaria.com/89476/recipes-roast-duck-farro-hazelnuts.html

Nancy January 22, 2016

aargersi January 22, 2016

I looked at that too, and am adding her method to my mental mix. If I remember to, I will take pics as I go!

ChefJune January 22, 2016

I've never cooked a whole duck so I'm of no help, but I'll be looking forward to hear how yours turned out!

navahfrost
navahfrost January 22, 2016

I seasoned like this: 1 tablespoon Chinese 5 spice powder
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
5 big slices fresh ginger
4 cloves of garlic
½ bunch scallions
1 tangerine, peel cut in strips
¼ cup rice vinegar
½ cup honey
½ cup soy sauce
I did the dry ingredients as a rub and the wet as a glaze that I used to baste after I steamed it in the oven. About 45 minutes in the steamer and an hour in the oven.

Greenstuff January 22, 2016

I've steamed duck first and then put it in the oven, and it's a good technique. You might also consider the opposite, browning your bundle and then braising. I haven't boned and stuffed any birds for a long time, but they always turned out great, lots of work, but very rewarding. Mine were always pretty French, but I had a Vietnamese friend bone and stuff a couple of years ago, and I still think about how absolutely delicious that was.

aargersi January 24, 2016

Success! It took me a little longer than Jacques Pepín to de-bone it - ha. I did sliced ham, blanched mustard greens, kumquats and ginger garlic wild rice. Just roasted (no steam) and made salted caramel citrus sauce (Mrs. Wheelbarrow's recipe - seriously delicious) and it was a great success and also FUN!

Nancy January 24, 2016

bravo!

aargersi January 24, 2016

Stuffing

aargersi January 24, 2016

Roasted!

sexyLAMBCHOPx January 24, 2016

gorgeous!

Susan W January 24, 2016

Absolutely beautiful.

Greenstuff January 24, 2016

Thanks for all the pictures! Hope you plan to post your recipe.

aargersi January 24, 2016

Hmm ... I could wing the measurements I suppose !