Roasting a whole, deboned, stuffed duck

I am going to attempt to debone, stuff, and roast a whole duck tomorrow. If I don't screw up the first part (!!!) I am still unsure about the roasting temp - I have a dread of dry livery breast meat which happens when you overcook in a skillet but I haven't had that problem roasting bone-in - ack! Help! Temps and times ideas? (Ps the stuffing is going to be some sort of gingery-rice affair)

navahfrost

Have you ever steamed a duck first and then put in the oven? I have only done it with duck that is in tact with bones, but the result was excellent. If you did it I would steam it first for a hour without the stuffing and then stuff before putting it in the oven. To finish in the oven, I'd put it up on a high heat, 400 maybe, or on convection bake, which gets the skin nice and crispy?

I have not! But I am intrigued! Do you just season it with salt and pepper and then steam in ... Something big? Hmm ... Smoked tea steam perhaps? I like that idea because the stuffing will be cooked and will just need to get warm inside Msr Duck

Abbie, do you by chance own a wok? That would make for a good vessel. Mine came with a perforated tray that would hold your duck beautifully.

I do - I'll have to see if he fits in it! I could rig a tray

This recipe for stuffed deboned duck uses farro as the stuffing, but may be a helpful guide.
http://leitesculinaria...

http://leitesculinaria...

I looked at that too, and am adding her method to my mental mix. If I remember to, I will take pics as I go!

I've never cooked a whole duck so I'm of no help, but I'll be looking forward to hear how yours turned out!

navahfrost

I seasoned like this: 1 tablespoon Chinese 5 spice powder
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
5 big slices fresh ginger
4 cloves of garlic
½ bunch scallions
1 tangerine, peel cut in strips
¼ cup rice vinegar
½ cup honey
½ cup soy sauce
I did the dry ingredients as a rub and the wet as a glaze that I used to baste after I steamed it in the oven. About 45 minutes in the steamer and an hour in the oven.

I've steamed duck first and then put it in the oven, and it's a good technique. You might also consider the opposite, browning your bundle and then braising. I haven't boned and stuffed any birds for a long time, but they always turned out great, lots of work, but very rewarding. Mine were always pretty French, but I had a Vietnamese friend bone and stuff a couple of years ago, and I still think about how absolutely delicious that was.

Success! It took me a little longer than Jacques Pepín to de-bone it - ha. I did sliced ham, blanched mustard greens, kumquats and ginger garlic wild rice. Just roasted (no steam) and made salted caramel citrus sauce (Mrs. Wheelbarrow's recipe - seriously delicious) and it was a great success and also FUN!

bravo!

Stuffing

Roasted!

gorgeous!

Absolutely beautiful.

Thanks for all the pictures! Hope you plan to post your recipe.

Hmm ... I could wing the measurements I suppose !