🔕 🔔

Quick read burns on edges, but not on top

I'm using an 8x4 dark metal pan to bake all sorts of quickbreads, like banana bread, pound cake, and zucchini bread. The bottom and edges where the bread contacts the pan gets too dark and crusty, but the top is not burning. I line the pan with parchment paper and have sometimes greased it and sometimes not.

Any firm answer on if the issue resides with the oven temperature, pan type, or other source?

How do I get an even bake throughout?

asked by Stagething 6 months ago

If you have another pan, use that and see if you get the same results, better or worse.
If you have an oven thermometer, test your oven in several places.
If you don't have an oven thermomenter, get one...many/most ovens don't calibrate accurately & the purchase is worth it.
If you find the oven is the problem, adjust the temp (up or down as needed) or placement of pan when you bake.
If oven not the problem, maybe your pan is conducting more heat and so creating burnt edges.
Consider a new pan, as in this or other reviews of kitchen equipment:
http://www.finecooking...