Top of banana bread almost burnt, but the middle is undercooked?

I use a dark grey 9x5 bread pan when making my banana bread at 375F for 45-55 minutes on the top rack of my oven. The recipe says to bake for 40 minutes; however, the middle of the bread isn't cooked by then!? It's still wet in the inside, but the top of the bread looks perfect at this time. Leaving it in for another 10-15 minutes made the inside perfectly cooked, but now the top is hard, dry, and basically burnt. How could I fix this to make sure the bread is cooked in the inside without having a burnt top/bottom/side?

asked by Jenny over 2 years ago

miss jane

My recipe works well at 350 degrees for one hour on middle rack.

The top of the oven is often hotter than the rest.
Also, rarely if ever have I seen a cake recipe specifying placement in top third of oven - usually cakes are baked in middle or bottom third.
If, on top of this, your oven was still heating up, there may have been a greater differential (much hotter on top, cooking the top crust but no the middle or bottom).
Last, many/most recipes call for moderate oven (350F, 175C), so maybe using the 375F oven also contributed to uneven heating and baking.
Here are a couple articles for more info:
http://www.reluctantgourmet...
http://www.bakepedia.com...

Jenny

Thanks for the advice! These articles really helped, and I will try these out!

I agree with Nancy and Jane, the batter for banana bread is quite thick and I think lowering oven temp to 350 will help and place on rack in middle of the oven.

Jenny

Thank you for the response! Will definitely try this next week when I bake another loaf.

stefanie

You can try to tent it with tin foil and move the bread to the middle rack to slow the browning on top.

Jenny

Thanks! I'll try this if the browning begins to happen again :-)

Lisabeth Halstead

For banana bread, turn your oven temperature down to 330 degrees and bake it for 25 minutes longer. Use only a light silver pan not dark metal nor glass. Also during the last 30 minutes or so of bake time (once the top is set) loosely place a piece of foil over the top of the bread. Perfect results every time.