A question about a recipe: Nigella Lawson's Dense Chocolate Loaf Cake

C6853174 7cb9 459d bdda 79aec6352f50  food52 12 7 12 5324

I have a question about the recipe "Nigella Lawson's Dense Chocolate Loaf Cake" from Genius Recipes. when you guys tested this recipe, did you measure flour with the dip-and-sweep method, or did you fluff the flour and spoon it in to the measuring cup and then level it? I've made this cake twice using the fluff – and – level method, and it seems to take fully 15 minutes longer than the stated time in a fully-preheated oven. appreciate your help with this!

asked by Beth100 over 1 year ago

Unless told otherwise, I always stir briefly, spoon, and sweep. (Who knows, it could be a difference in our ovens or pans or flours...) If it helps, the weight we included in the Genius Recipes book was 200 grams.

Beth100

I have your excellent cookbook and didn't even realize this recipe was in it! I will weigh the flour next time and see if it makes a difference.

:) Hope you like it, either way!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

The difference between her oven and yours could explain the variation in times, which is why I always teach people new to baking (not implying that you are) that they primarily need to learn what to look for when baked goods are done vs. relying on times. A timer should be just a reminder.

The suggestion for weight measuring also negates the need for the disparity in volumetric measuring methods.