I just purchased a large quantity of dried mushrooms...all varieties...WHAT can I make with them?

Soup, Meat, Vegan, Dried mushrooms,

asked by sile about 1 year ago

Lovely - enjoy!
Ideas: lasagna, stuffed pastry (borek) or pasta (raviolo), soup with spring onions, sauce for fish, red wine-mushroom sauce for steak, broth for various uses (and keep the rehydrated mushrooms fro some other use)

sile

Going to make a red wine mushroom sauce tonight. Many thanks for your kindness.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Dried mushrooms also make a really good component to dry rubs. I love to grind up dried mushrooms (especially porcini) with spices like coriander, caraway, mustard, etc. and use it for roasted meats, especially beef.

They're also a huge component in Asian cooking. Dashi is an essential base to Japanese cooking and opens a world of new dishes. A simple one that I make for a weeknight dinner all the time is oyakodon. Make loads of dashi, freeze it and use it to your hearts content.

Other than that, sauces. Rehydrate them and use them and the rehydrating liquid for a seared steak or throw them into a red sauce or a braise to bump up the umami. Short ribs, oxtails, osso buco.

Chocolate Be

See Mozza's famous recipe for steak! I mostly cook vegetarian, but when I have houseguests who are meat people, they go nuts over it. It's all in the dried mushroom rub.

sile

Wonderful suggestions. So many thanks.

Stephanie B.

There's a red wine risotto recipe on here that I love. Calls for porcini but I've made it with mixed mushrooms and it's always yummy.

sile

Great idea. So many thanks for your help.

Exbruxelles

Wild mushroom risotto is a wonderful thing: Soak the dried mushrooms in hot water and save the broth. Use this to make risotto. Parsley and cheese are all you need to add.

I will second the risotto suggestion. Dried mushrooms, even mixed, will go well in a ragu type pasta sauce with game, lamb or even farm raised wild boar.

sile

Many many thanks!

irina

Just had a wild mushroom pizza with porcini crema. Amazing!
Also love Mushroom Soup. Room temp.
cheers
irina

sile

Love your pizza idea. I will give it a try. So many thanks.

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Whatever you decide to do with these, please save the soaking liquid! It's liquid umami. There may be some grit at the bottom of the liquid, so you can strain it or just leave the stuff at the bottom. I freeze it flat in quart-sized zipper bags, and either break off a chunk as needed or use the whole lot.

This adds an amazing flavor dimension to braises in particular, or pan sauces. Just sub out some of the stock and/or wine with mushroom soaking liquid.

foofaraw

To add to SMSF wonderful suggestion, you can use themushroom soaking liquid when cooking rice (sub some of the water. I even cut rehydrated mushroom and add it to the rice before cooking for added fiber and flavor), soup, stew, stir fry, etc. Basically most of all cooking that says 'add water for x amount', save for the simplest food, and seafood/lemony-based food

sile

Oh YEs, I did and the dish was a so amazing! Did not know about freezing! You are the best. Thanks for all.

foofaraw

Mushroom quiche https://smittenkitchen...

sile

I would have not thought of that...I will give it a try...Thanks very much!

Jennifer

Great ideas (and I esp. agree that the mushroom soaking liquid is magic). Dried mushrooms keep well, so you don't have to decide quickly... Once you understand how to reconstitute/use, they'll be useful at the most unexpected moments.

I use them in just about every dish with cooked mushrooms of one kind or another, for a perceptible flavor boost. For those of you reading this who do not have a large quantity of dried mushrooms on hand, here's a tip. You can buy excellent dried mushrooms -- all kinds -- at a fraction of the local stores' prices, at https://www.purcellmountainfarms... . I discovered this terrific resource in a "sources" list in one of Marcella Hazan's books. Purcell Mountain Farms sells many things other than mushrooms, but their mushrooms seem to be their best offering in terms of quality and value. ;o)