Blackstrap Molasses

I bought a bottle of Blackstrap Molasses. According to what I have searched on net, Blackstrap Molasses is bitter in taste but the one I got is not bitter and its also little sweet. Is it Blackstrap Molasses?

asked by Mohammed Aamir over 1 year ago

C Sangueza

Where did you buy it? Do you have any reason to believe it is incorrectly labeled? Blackstrap molasses is made from sugar cane so it is sweet. It has a strong flavor but I have never thought of it as bitter - I use it in gingerbread cookies and baked beans.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I think blackstrap molasses is just considered "more bitter" than molasses not labeled as "blackstrap", but its just as sweet as any. I've seen several recipes that instruct one not to use it because its flavor is a bit more complex, but I tend to like its extra smokiness.