🔕 🔔

Why do papadums puff and blister when roasted? Doing a demo for elementary kids and I know they will ask.

asked by susan_carlson about 7 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I think the puffing has something to do with the water in the dough turning to steam, and it therefore creates a balloon effect.

792c49de 9d99 48d8 b7c6 dae342ba2d95  lena pescados capitales

It may also be the baking soda used in the papadum dough - often this is one of the ingredients.

1a8c0c9c 7050 41d7 96d6 b8bd88c18acc  stringio

I have looked at 10 papadum recipes; none used baking soda, and they are dried in the oven until crisp, very little to no moisture. Is there something about the flour that makes them blister?