🔕 🔔

I have some parsnips, actually 2. I don't want to waste them. Can they be peeled, chopped and frozen for later use? Would I need to par cook them?

asked by Lucia from Madison over 6 years ago

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

I would peel, cut up and cook them before freezing - just a quick blanching should do. But if you're going to do all that work, can't you just add them into something you're already planning to cook this week? You could sub them for a carrot in a soup recipe, or grate them up to add to a slaw (raw).

I think with parsnips, especially for longer than a few days storage, I'd peel, blanch and freeze. I'd worry if I peeled and refrigerated that they'd turn brown. Don't have any experience with it, but since a lot of light colored veggies have that tendency, I wouldn't risk it. If they already weren't too old, I'd keep them as is, skin on, un-chopped, in the cripser and try to use them within a few days. But longer term, peel, blanch and freeze.

27deb974 3b33 4f19 b966 dc79321a31b1  photo for web

Thank you for the comments. I blanched them and now they are in the freezer... let's hope I remember they are there the next time I need parsnips!