🔕 🔔

Salad for a Salad-Hater??

I can't get enough of salads. But my girlfriend is a sworn hater of anything in the same zip code as salad. Trying to think of one that we can both enjoy! She can't stand most vegetables, but loves broccoli. And bacon. And bread.

asked by Max Jonah Filippoff 5 months ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

To me, a "salad" is just a bunch of fresh (or nearly fresh) food thrown together and tied up with a flavorful, but light, dressing. Shaved broccoli can be the main portion of a salad with other goodies thrown in....but I encourage people just to combine flavors they enjoy and pair a dressing with it (even something simple like red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, a touch of mustard and olive oil). A salad shouldn't require a recipe.

The crotchety man in my wants to tell picky people to just suck it up and eat vegetables, but until then....panzanella is a good starting point. I like toasted bread, tomatoes, white beans, shaved red onion, basil and a garlicky, lemon vinaigrette.

0022585b ac31 476f 99fb ddea69bdece6  fb avatar

Our deli makes a salad of chopped broccoli (not too fine), carrot slivers, raisins and a slightly sweet mayonnaise based dressing. The market also sells bags of broccoli slaw next to the cole slaw mix. And you might see if she would eat a grilled romaine Caesar.

You've got the makings of a fine one right there--you could do a combination of roasted and raw (or lightly cooked) broccoli with bacon bits and croutons. Every salad need not be leafy and raw, so go with the vegetables she likes.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

Also try Chinese broccoli.

80a2b32b 19d9 462f aa60 00e50e1bd51e  image

I posted a recipe on this site called "Nobu meets child" salad. It's all in the dressing! It made my kids into salad eaters and you can look it up right here.

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Melissa Clark's Broccoli Salad w Sesame on the NYT Cooking website. Everyone loves it. You pickle florets briefly in salt and vinegar, pour over olive oil heated w cumin and chopped garlic, then add sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Broccoli w smoked pine ton and marcona almonds on this web site is also delicious.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

This recipe has both broccoli and bacon as ingredients. You might give this one a try. http://www.myrecipes.com...

149f58e1 2b7f 49ca 9be3 fb264f505b2a  img 4021

I thought I hated salad but it turns out that I don't like lettuce as a main ingredient or mayo-based dressings. Maybe try flipping around the ratio of greens to "stuff"?

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

After all the efforts people have made to convince me that I really like mayonnaise, beer, fatty meat, yogurt,salty chocolate etc., my inclination would be to let her decide for herself what she wants to eat; she's really the only expert on the subject.

Is this by chance a logistics/time-crunch question disguised as a taste question?
If she really doesn't like salad, maybe make other sides for meals you share and salad for yourself at times you may eat separately?
Another approach: prepare & store undressed salad fixings for a few days or week in the fridge, then assemble and dress one serving for you for dinner.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Grill broccoli (usually 7 min under the broiler). Make candied bacon (usually 25 min @ 350 F, sprinkled with brown sugar and your favorite spice). Make your favorite vinaigrette. No way you can go wrong...