Salad for a large crowd

Would love any suggestions for a vegetable salad (not using lettuce) for 50, for an October event. I've been mulling over Moroccan carrot salad, or maybe a combination that includes apple & fennel? Thanks

asked about 1 year ago

Depending on what else you're serving and what your guests eat, 2 ideas:
Seasonal and rich (pears, walnuts, some good blue cheese and a white wine vinaigrette)
Pretty and tasty: roasted carrot salad with avocado, sprouts and a cumin dressing (by Vongerichten at his restaurant in ABC Carpet, now everywhere)

If you don't want to use pears (as it's a fruit not veg), you could use the proposed fennel instead...it will go with the walnuts & blue cheese.

1. Zucchini, tomato and onion with Italian dressing.
2. Red cabbage, celery, red onion with an apple cider vinegar dressing
3. Green beans, slivered almonds, mushrooms
4. I love green pea salad! Peas , onion, bacon bits with a mayo dressing.
5. Festive salad with seasonal vegetables. Corn, beans, red cabbage, tomatoes, radishes, parsley, carrots, colorful and fun!

Thanks everyone! Will test drive a couple of these ahead of time.

Lost_in_NYC

Couscous with harissa, lemon preserves, roasted carrots, mint/parsley topped with feta.

Charlie Bird restaurant in NYC has a great farro salad that will hold up nicely (add cheese and arugula before serving though) Recipe is available online

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

There's a recipe in Ottolenghi's Plenty for a salad of thinly slivered cabbage and kohlrabi with dill and dried sour cherries in a lemony dressing. It is much more than the sum of its parts. Here it is on a blog: https://www.everopensauce.com/cabbage-and-kohlrabi-salad/
Just noticed it had alfalfa sprouts in it too -- I don't really like them and have never included them. I also imagine they wouldn't hold up well, but the rest of the salad does. I think it's even good the next day.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

butternut squash salad .... Ina knows how to do it. http://www.foodnetwork...

MMH
MMH

For a large crowd I'm thinking of something sturdy. There are many variations of broccoli with sunflower seeds, raisins and a ranch style dressing.

Love this recipe because it can be refrigerated over night for better flavor.
http://www.seriouseats... And this one, also with chick peas and meatless http://www.seriouseats...

How could I have forgotten this recipe? It is delicious! https://food52.com/recipes...

Thanks, everyone! All great ideas. So hard to pick...

Really, really appreciate knowing you read all the ideas. Miss Food52 from awhile ago when question askers commented on the responses and thanked them. There was a real community of people sharing and learning.

We make a grain salad (actually we use Trader Joe's grain mix which includes the larger pearl couscous, baby chickpeas, and seeds, but you could use any grainy mix), olive oil, sun-dried tomato slivers (also from Trader Joe's), lemon juice, salt, minced scallion, and any minced tender fresh green herb (parsley or basil, for example).