I cooked wheat berries for a salad and used organic vegetable broth for the first time instead of water, and they came out mushy...

Will the salad still be good or do I have to start over and make it again?

Voted the Best Reply!

Miranda Rake
Miranda Rake March 15, 2012

Well, it all depends on how much the mushy-ness bothers you (and how mushy they are), what recipe you're using and how important the wheatberry element is. Can you tell us what recipe you're using?
I don't think that the broth would make them mushy, unless perhaps somehow it's because of the salt content of the broth. Purely brainstorming though.

Ife
Ife March 15, 2012

I agree with the above and I'm thinking you used too much broth.

slock
slock March 15, 2012

I've found that recipes tend to over cook wheat berries. I do an overnight soak and a quick boil 10? minutes just to get rid of anything "bad".

You can always use the mushy ones to make more of a porridge type thing. Add milk/cream bananas, etc.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN March 16, 2012

wow, did you cook them for 10 hours or something? I've never cooked mushy wheat berries and i cook them a few hours, so i am surprised. the cereal or soup suggestion is a good one for using them up. the type pf water or broth should not play into causing mushiness.