A question about a recipe: Saltie's Focaccia

151f637c 0414 47b3 8108 941d30fe8f96  2017 1003 delta faucet focaccia hero julia gartland 112

I have a question about the recipe "Saltie's Focaccia" from Marian Bull. Why was my focaccia waterier than the recipe and therefore turned out flat?

asked by Michelle Cheung over 1 year ago

Stephanie B.

What kind of flour did you use? I notice the recipe didn't specify a flour type. Focaccia is a wet, sticky dough - it sounds like the problem is more likely gluten development than water content. Unless you added more water than recipe called for, I'm not sure how it would be waterier than the recipe.

Michelle Cheung

I used AP flour. My dough turned out flat and so wet that I couldn't really do the dimpling before I put it in the oven

Stephanie B.

As others caught before me, this recipe has a lot of water. The recipe I use is on the higher end of what another commenter posted at 77% hydration. And it's not "no knead". I mix mine in a stand mixer for a few minutes after the dough has come together, and then give it some stretches and folds too. Assuming Piece of Layer Cake is right, 105% hydration is basically the consistency of pancake batter! Try a different recipe all together, and use bread flour.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Doing a bit of conversion....it appears that the hydration in the recipe is 105%...which is really high. Its not impossible to have good bread at that hydration level, but to just leave it, without folds or anything for just 8 hours, is odd to me. Maybe the author has a bit of an insight, but I feel that the culprit is the hydration.

Stephanie B.

Oh snap, 105%! I stand corrected - maybe not just a lack of gluten development!

Volume can be quite deceiving.

Michelle Cheung

I even used a scale for my measurements so really I did everything spot on. I maybe left it for a couple hours longer than 2 days but really that's it. Could it be my fridge was too cold? I saw that my oil congealed.

I think POLC is on the right track.

The NY Times focaccia recipe has a 55% hydration.

https://cooking.nytimes...

A focaccia recipe at Serious Eats has a 65% hydration level:

http://www.seriouseats...

Emiko Davies (who occasionally writes here) here has a couple of focaccia recipes on the Internet, one about 55% hydration, one about 80% hydration. Davies wonders on the hydration level of the latter recipe.

Nancy Silverton of La Brea Bakery has a focaccia recipe that is around 85% hydration. The Los Angeles Times posted that recipe right here:

http://articles.latimes...

Frankly, I'd try another recipe in the mean time.

And no, your refrigerator is not "too cold." The only time a household refrigerator is too cold is when lettuce, herbs and other delicate greens start freezing.

Good luck.