What is a decent substitute for Chinese cooking wine? Will Marsala work?

asked by Sadassa_Ulna over 7 years ago

Robin O'D

A dry sherry will work.

I use a medium dry sherry. Marsala would likely be too sweet and heavy, at least for my taste. Mirin (Japanese rice wine) is also a great substitute, but be sure to check for sweetness, when using any of these -- or when using the Chinese cooking wine, for that matter -- and add a dash of vinegar to sharpen the sauce, if necessary. ;o)

Queen of Spoons

I'd like to know a little more about the recipe, but I'd be tempted to try sake, with maybe a tiny bit of mirin.

cookinginvictoria

I use a dry sherry (usually manzanilla or amontillado) or in a pinch I have substituted dry white wine.

Sadassa_Ulna

I'd like to try the wildcard-winning Gong Bao tonight and my liquor cabinet is frighteningly bare. I have some mirin so perhaps I'll try that and reduce the sugar a tad as AntoniaJames points out. Thanks for the input!

If you mean the darker Chinese cooking wine - Shao hsing - then dry sherry is a very good sub; for white Chinese cooking wine - a dry white (French, Italian, California, whatever.)

Mirin cab be okay too, but it's much sweeter than white Chinese wine, so adjust accordingly.

isabelita

My chinese cooking teacher always used scotch.

Helen's All Night Diner

I always substitute tequilan for Chinese wine.

Sadassa_Ulna

Thanks everyone, I have scotch & tequila & mirin... so one will work!

I am so intrigued by the idea of using Scotch!! Definitely going to file that interesting tidbit for use in the near future. ;o)