🔕 🔔

Storing Wine used for cooking.

I have two half bottles of wine in the fridge that I use for cooking. They've been in there for quite a long time. I remember hearing that it helps the life of the wine if you float a layer of olive oil on top. This is for cooking only and for long term storage of a open bottle.
Does this work well in practice?

asked 6 months ago

I don't know about the olive oil method, but I would freeze the wine in ice tray and take one ice block at a time when I want to use it for cooking.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

I have always read that you shouldn't cook with anything you wouldn't drink.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

It should be helpful- oxidation is the biggest worry. There are snazzy devices for pumping air out and sealing the bottle; also wine in the box, which never lets oxygen in.

I cook with wine often, and I agree with foofaraw. When we have a little wine left over, rather than risk oxidation, I immediately put it in a zip-closure bag, squeezing out as much air as possible, and pop it in the freezer. It's easy to break off some for cooking, and it won't pick up any freezer burn or odors. The bottles you have are probably oxidized by now; I'd pour some in a clear glass and test them. If they aren't drinkable, they're not going to be palatable in a recipe once they're heated and reduced.