Storing Wine used for cooking.

I have two half bottles of wine in the fridge that I use for cooking. They've been in there for quite a long time. I remember hearing that it helps the life of the wine if you float a layer of olive oil on top. This is for cooking only and for long term storage of a open bottle.
Does this work well in practice?

asked over 1 year ago

foofaraw

I don't know about the olive oil method, but I would freeze the wine in ice tray and take one ice block at a time when I want to use it for cooking.

MMH
MMH

I have always read that you shouldn't cook with anything you wouldn't drink.

It should be helpful- oxidation is the biggest worry. There are snazzy devices for pumping air out and sealing the bottle; also wine in the box, which never lets oxygen in.

nance

I cook with wine often, and I agree with foofaraw. When we have a little wine left over, rather than risk oxidation, I immediately put it in a zip-closure bag, squeezing out as much air as possible, and pop it in the freezer. It's easy to break off some for cooking, and it won't pick up any freezer burn or odors. The bottles you have are probably oxidized by now; I'd pour some in a clear glass and test them. If they aren't drinkable, they're not going to be palatable in a recipe once they're heated and reduced.