Can anything be done with the nut puree/paste after making nut milk?

I've made cashew milk a few times, and I'm wondering if the drained, food processed cashews have any use after I've used them to make cashew milk. Can anything be made with this? Or can they be added to other foods/dishes? Thanks!

Susan W June 18, 2017

I've not done this, but some people dry it and grind it up to use as a gluten free breading on fish or chicken.

Rae
Rae June 19, 2017

I've not done it with cashews, but after making almond milk, I spread the gunk on a baking tray and bake it on low until it's dry. Then I use it in cookies, in muesli (granola), streusel or crumb toppings for fruit desserts, etc...

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon June 19, 2017

This is a question I often ask. Glad to see someone else is thinking about it! If you are baking, you can put it in the batter of muffins, pancakes, waffles, brownies, blondies, crumbles, etc. I like the drying out ideas too, but I don't necessarily want to turn on my oven for a cup or two of something. I'm thinking now that if I wanted to dehydrate this mixture, I might spread the mixture very thin on a cookie pan, turn oven to low (200-250F), and then after an hour, shut if off, and let ambient heat work the magic...

AntoniaJames June 19, 2017

I like Shuna's advice, but might respectfully suggest that the oven door be opened about 30 or 40 minutes into the process, for about 30 seconds, to allow the moisture to escape. There will be a lot of moisture on the pulp, which will be released in the warm oven; if your oven is even moderately insulated, that moisture will stay in the oven and keep the nut pulp from drying. ;o)

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B. June 19, 2017

Good tip AntoniaJames, thanks!

ktr
ktr June 19, 2017

When you add the pulp to your baked goods, do you decrease the amount of flour you use or do some other adjustment to accommodate the additional ingredient?

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B. June 19, 2017

Thanks for the ideas all! I like the "breading" on savory dish idea, and it seems like I can add my leftover nuts to lots of baked treats!