Sourdough Starter: Am I doing this right?

41365439 acab 4768 ab5e f59c06f5edc6  img 4944

I'm following a couple of recipes for making my own starter (The one on TheKitchn, and one on SeriousEats) I'm on Day 9, and it looks like the photo below. Am I doing this right? It's winter where I am right now (about 20-22 C at peak afternoon and lows of 7-8) and I've used unbleached stone-milled white flour. Should I keep plugging on?

asked by Sanjana over 1 year ago

Ben McCulloch

It looks to me like it is going well. To test it take a spoonful and put it in a glass of water. If it is floating you can start baking bread with it. Even if it is not fully floating you could probably start making sourdough pancakes and waffles with it.

Sanjana

Thanks Ben! I tried that and it floated :) Trying to make my proto-dough now let's see. :cross fingers:

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I always keep plugging with a starter. Mine usually take between 9 and 14 days to rise consistently. I think people think starters are much more delicate than they really are. As long as you're consistent and the room temperature is moderate, there's really no reason it shouldn't work.