3 lbs of fresh onions

I have three pounds of beautiful fresh onions. I'm used to cooking with them and use them instead of storage onions all summer, but I could use some ideas on how to go through this large amount. Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah -- I'm vegan too.

• Posted by: Esvee
  • July 7, 2017

Voted the Best Reply!

702551
702551 July 7, 2017

I would caramelize two pounds, portion into smaller amounts, freeze and save for future usage as needed.

I'm sure I could consume a pound of onions in a couple of weeks in the course of my normal cooking.

PHIL
PHIL July 10, 2017

You're back?

702551
702551 July 10, 2017

I'm an Internet nomad, I tend to come and go. Without a doubt, soon I will head elsewhere yet again.

This site sure has changed in the past six months.

Mrs Beryl Patmore
Mrs Beryl Patmore July 14, 2017

cv, it has indeed. One wonders whether it's a coincidence that the annoying (and intelligence insulting) clickbait article titles, and the heavy-handed inclusion of irrelevant links to break up written text, have become the norm since the Chief Revenue Officer appeared on the scene earlier this year - https://adexchanger.com/the-sell-sider/cro-sam-stahl-turns-heat-food52s-ad-sales-biz/ .

702551
702551 July 14, 2017

Dear Mrs. Patmore,

I'm certain Food52 management would say, "we are pleased with the direction that our website is taking."

I realize that no one can please everyone all the time. I understand that I not part of Food52's primary demographic. What I find more confounding is the incredibly poor reception by some senior Food52 staffers to accept any sort of criticism, whether constructive or not (and not from just me, but from anyone). Despite the recent staff turnovers, many of these people still hold their positions.

It is time for me to bow out of this discussion. I leave it to others to continue this conversation if they like.

Beth
Beth July 7, 2017

You can caramelize them in a big batch ( possibly in a slow cooker) then freeze in portions to pull out when you need to add some deep flavour. Or French onion soup. Enjoy!

rbrock1225
rbrock1225 July 8, 2017

I actually prefer to caramelize them in an electric skillet. I have one of the large, non-stick electric skillets from Cuisinart. Put the glass lid on initially until they start to sweat, lower the heat _way_ down, and remove the lid. Every so often, give them a stir. Best of all, you can pick a non-busy place in your kitchen and fix them while you prepare dinner, bake cookies, or whatever. I wish I could claim credit for this -- but it was in an Alton Brown Good Eats on making French onion soup.

Nancy July 7, 2017

In addition to the caramelized onions (my first choice, too):
• salad of onions, olives and oranges
• onion pickle
• as a topping for home made bread or rolls
• roasted in wedges or sliced with other summer vegetables (zucchini, tomato, eggplant)
• hollowed out and baked with bread crumbs stuffing (like stuffed tomatoes)

Exbruxelles
Exbruxelles July 7, 2017

I agree: I'd pickle a few of them.

BerryBaby July 8, 2017

Absolutely pickle them, so easy!

PHIL
PHIL July 10, 2017

Make hot dog onions, after all its is summer

mainecook61
mainecook61 July 11, 2017

What's the rush to use them up? Even sweet onions keep for weeks, especially if they are in a cool dry place. And three pounds isn't very much, really---certainly not worth slaving over a stove to caramelize them! We keep Ailsa Craig onions (sweet) for at least 4 months after harvest, and many varieties last much longer.

Esvee
Esvee July 12, 2017

Thanks everyone for the tips! I caramelized some, quick-pickled some, and they're gone! mainecook61, you're right, 3 pounds is not actually all that much... Went through them much faster than I anticipated and now I'm waiting for more :)

Susan
Susan July 22, 2017

In addition to carmelizing (which you can then freeze), chop 'em up and throw them in the freezer. Slice (or chop) and dehydrate.