3 lbs of fresh onions

I have three pounds of beautiful fresh onions. I'm used to cooking with them and use them instead of storage onions all summer, but I could use some ideas on how to go through this large amount. Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah -- I'm vegan too.

asked by Esvee 12 months ago

Beth

You can caramelize them in a big batch ( possibly in a slow cooker) then freeze in portions to pull out when you need to add some deep flavour. Or French onion soup. Enjoy!

rbrock1225

I actually prefer to caramelize them in an electric skillet. I have one of the large, non-stick electric skillets from Cuisinart. Put the glass lid on initially until they start to sweat, lower the heat _way_ down, and remove the lid. Every so often, give them a stir. Best of all, you can pick a non-busy place in your kitchen and fix them while you prepare dinner, bake cookies, or whatever. I wish I could claim credit for this -- but it was in an Alton Brown Good Eats on making French onion soup.

In addition to the caramelized onions (my first choice, too):
• salad of onions, olives and oranges
• onion pickle
• as a topping for home made bread or rolls
• roasted in wedges or sliced with other summer vegetables (zucchini, tomato, eggplant)
• hollowed out and baked with bread crumbs stuffing (like stuffed tomatoes)

Exbruxelles

I agree: I'd pickle a few of them.

Absolutely pickle them, so easy!

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Make hot dog onions, after all its is summer

mainecook61

What's the rush to use them up? Even sweet onions keep for weeks, especially if they are in a cool dry place. And three pounds isn't very much, really---certainly not worth slaving over a stove to caramelize them! We keep Ailsa Craig onions (sweet) for at least 4 months after harvest, and many varieties last much longer.

Esvee

Thanks everyone for the tips! I caramelized some, quick-pickled some, and they're gone! mainecook61, you're right, 3 pounds is not actually all that much... Went through them much faster than I anticipated and now I'm waiting for more :)

Susan

In addition to carmelizing (which you can then freeze), chop 'em up and throw them in the freezer. Slice (or chop) and dehydrate.