Can you use dried parsley and chive in place fresh herbs in a dip?

Don't have time to get to store and recipe calls for chives and parsley ... I have dried but not fresh. I also have red onions in the house. Can I dice and use that?

• Posted by: Lara
  • June 2, 2016

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich June 2, 2016

Lara - yes, you can use dried herbs in place of fresh quite successfully in a dip. Please, note the difference in using dried vs. fresh. Dried will have a stronger flavor, therefore you'll need to use less than the recipe calls for. Also, a red onion should work very well, too. It would be helpful to better answer your question if you could include the recipe. All the best!

Lara
Lara June 2, 2016

It is a buttermilk blue cheese dip. Has mayo, garlic, lemon and Worcester

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich June 2, 2016

Lara - I'd assumed it was mayo or sour cream based. My suggestions should work very well. I'm sure others will have comments and suggestions also. It sounds like a tasty dip.

Susan W June 2, 2016

I agree with Trena. There are a few times that dried herbs work and a buttermilk dip is one of them. Somehow, dried chives come alive. Dried parsley, on the other hand, is quite tasteless in my experience.

pierino June 2, 2016

Dried parsley doesn't taste like anything. I once worked a job where the owner sprinkled dried parsley on plates for "presentation". I told him that might look classy at Denny's but...needless to say I didn't last long there.
Dried chives on the other hand hold flavor as does oregano.

ChefJune June 2, 2016

Well, you could, but then you'd miss the sprightly flavor that only the fresh herbs give.

Smaug June 2, 2016

I've never tried dried chives, but dried parsley is pretty useless. Same for the other annual/biennial herbs- Basil, Cilantro, Chervil etc.- they just don't dry well.

creamtea June 3, 2016

If you haven't already made, and consumed it, I'd say mince a little of the red onion and use that.